Testing a new sleeve

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannondale27

#31 Post by cannondale27 »

Can you make sidecover removable with motor in frame?

claas900

#32 Post by claas900 »

Wheres the pic of the early prototype motor? It also has the right side of the case removable to replace the one way bearing with out tearing the motor apart. Cannondale went away from this because the case was to weak,but I'm sure doing what your doing you could make some changes to get strength back.

hartracing3478

#33 Post by hartracing3478 »

The billet block has now been completed in auto-cad. Will start uploading the bob-cad program at lunch. Machining is right around the corner. I will keep everyone updated.The block is solid billet 6061 aluminum with a removable side cover that will be able to be removed in the quad. And will be able to be removed easier than our engine now.

cannondale27

#34 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow if you can get'er done would make me one happy guy.Wednesday I had to walk 4 mi in middle of nowhere in pitch dark and below freezing weather then wait 5 hrs with coyotes and who knows what else for company all because of that dang decomp.If you can do all this I will find a way to buy a motor.

MX Quad Dad

#35 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Nov 14 2009, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Weakest link in the starting system is the one-way bearing.See our starter is always engaged and the one way prevents the motor from turning the starter when running.No Bendix.The one-way requires total engine disassembly to replace.So going without decomp is a big decision.

I was thinking about this, this morning. Its been a while since I had a motor tore down (good thing). and don't have a good memory of the oneway bearing. But I have rebiult auto trans which I think they were called Sprag clutch (sp?). and Ialso rebuilt part of a wench on a 25 ton P&H crane which also has a oneway bearing. The company I worked for used a RT crane in a manor it wasn't designed for. VERY,VERY,VERY abusive. this bearing went out shortly after they bought that crane (used) and worked until the traded it in a few years later. the new crane they bought had the same setup and never needed to be replaced in the 7+ years they owned it.

the auto trans bearing is a bit bigger than ours and from what I remeber the abuse on this would come from a foward to reverse slam (could be wrong though). the oneway on the wench was a bit bigger than the c-dale and it did go through a gear reducttion but it did hold the load and I personally put many shock loads on it. the one I replace had debre from another bearing lodged in it. and even though the rollers were damaged the races were still good.

so with the problems with the cam hardness is it also possible the oneway bearing problems some of us have is from a hardness or lack of?

the other thought is if there is to be some design changes in the case, how hard would it be to design it to accept a bendix style starter? Many powerful starters out there and they keep getting smaller

cannondale27

#36 Post by cannondale27 »

Very good suggestions.I would have no problem with using a bendix style starter.Weld the oneway assembly together and forget about one way issues.Starter Bendix also fail but its a simple repair and we can still push start quad so no walking!

hartracing3478

#37 Post by hartracing3478 »

i removed the starter on my dragster and i can get to work great on our engines. i will have to mount the started base on some 1-2-3 blocks on a mill and take a flycutter across it and remove .280 so the starter will fit in the block just right and there will be no problem what so ever. we can take the pinion off of our starters now and use it on the mini torque.the pinion on the high performance starter has a different pitch. this design will be more than enough to start these engines. my dragster has around 15.5:1 compression and the starter doesnt even strain one bit.

hartracing3478

#38 Post by hartracing3478 »

the camshafts we currently have are only case hardened. if we can fully heat treat these and re-machine them due to the material growing from heat. that will stop our problems with the camshafts.

Happyboy

#39 Post by Happyboy »

/bows

claas900

#40 Post by claas900 »