Balanced Engine vs Balanced Crank

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdalepilot

#31 Post by cdalepilot »

haw can you tell which crank you have in your cdale? or is there a way to identify it by maybe weighing it or something.:confused:

Jaybr

#32 Post by Jaybr »

You can tell by looking at the cranks, not sure other than that.

The newer cranks are 3mm longer at the flywheel side of the shaft, may be able to measure something there to determine.

I'd say they changed cranks the same time they went to the SSM case, but that's not even 100% true. I've seen old style cases with new style cranks, it was on a refurb though.

Big Winky

#33 Post by Big Winky »

absolutely correct Jay. I have seen short cranks in new cases, long cranks in old cases and everything in between. Just isn't any kind of pattern, and on top of it all, there is 2 styles of old cases with a different size main bearing on the flywheel side. jeez...

Jaybr

#34 Post by Jaybr »

Wink,

Where the different sized bearings on FX400 motors or cable clutch cases?

I've heard they had a problem with crank bearings on the FX motors, wonder if those where the larger ones?

Big Winky

#35 Post by Big Winky »

the larger diameter but narrower ones were the earliest ones, followed by standard diameter and wider. we are bushing the older cases and machining them deeper to accept the newer style bearing and turning the journal on the crank to 25mm to accept the standard size bearing. I have personnally seen cable clutches on the longer (newest style) cases and hydralic clutches on old style cases (they can be machined to accept the slave cylinder)

CDMX215

#36 Post by CDMX215 »

is there a way to tell when you open motor if you have the righjt set up or is the only right setup having wink balance the crank 600.00 is a big chunk of change i know its good insurance i have cable clutch aluminum case and cam cover it looks by reading previos post that theres a possibility some are ok could i be that lucky

Big Winky

#37 Post by Big Winky »

I would say you have the better crank with the worst main bearing.

wistech

#38 Post by wistech »

Looks like you guys got a handle on the crank problem.............NOT

Just diggin up bones LOL

haydug

#39 Post by haydug »

QUOTE (wistech @ Oct 15 2006, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like you guys got a handle on the crank problem.............NOT
Just diggin up bones LOL

Yeah, I see your point here: But didn't see you digging into and conquering that problem when others were trying.

Glad you got it all figured out now though. ohmy.gif

wistech

#40 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (haydug @ Oct 15 2006, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I see your point here: But didn't see you digging into and conquering that problem when others were trying.

Glad you got it all figured out now though. ohmy.gif

Yep it was 2 more months before I got out of the "mine still runs strong" denial mode and dug in with both hands . Had I not lost those first few engines I would have never got to do the R@D on the first Timbo rods and updated cranks.
You remember back when I was getting criticized by everyone for having the balls to tear down the first "perfectly good running cranks" to find out just what was causing the step wear. So yea I will take credit for figuring out the problem and testing out the solution. Timbomoose is the one who deserves our thanks for finding the solution. Its all documented in the crank update thread.
That was also back when I turned to ATK with all our data to help them figure out the solution only to be snubbed. They too were fooled into believing it was a "balance issue". Of course look at where they were getting thier info from .LOL

It was really just luck of timing. Had it happened earlier I might have been one of winkies victoms and got out.
You know whats really funny. At this years Indy show I brought up the crank problem with Falicon and they knew all about step wear and had no idea thats what was happening to our cranks . They also had no idea on how to correct the problem in thier cranks other than accept it and keep replacing the pin and bearing when it eventually failed. It has not been an issue with thier Cannondale cranks but on some of thier streetbike engines.