Ive got the quietest Dale ever.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
SCOTMO58

#31 Post by SCOTMO58 »

Well, I went ahead and pulled the motor and covered the inside of the cover with the Ford silicone. Hopefully you're right Wistech. I'll probably start putting everything back together over the weekend but I live about 15 minutes form the French Quarter so this weekend might not be such a good time to be working on the Dale with Mardi Gras going on.:head:

SCOTMO58

#32 Post by SCOTMO58 »

wistech, how long does it take for the silicone to dry completely? I put it on yesterday at about 11 AM and this morning at about 6 AM I was able to peel some off with my fingernail. I am using the silicone from Ford. It is grey and real rubbery.

wistech

#33 Post by wistech »

How thick are you putting it on? If you put it on too thick the outer skin will seal the stuff deep inside and will take a while to cure. Otherwise a 1/8 inch coating should cure in an hour or 2. When I use it on oil pans and stuff I usually puit them into service right away. I have not used the ford equivalent but generally you can tell it cured when you cant smell vapors coming off of it. I would check your tranny filter after an hour or so in case you have some straglers floating around. Stick it in front of a fan for a while. The stuff will always be rubbery but not mushy to where you pick it off easily.

SCOTMO58

#34 Post by SCOTMO58 »

its not mushy, but I was able to peel of the edges easily. How long did yours sit before using them?

wistech

#35 Post by wistech »

Mine dried about one day. If you can easily peel the rubber off then I would say it had some oil film the parts. The parts have to be pefectly clean for any sealant to stick to it. You have to final rinse with brakecleaner and blow dry with an air gun. Wipeing parts off with a rag just doesnt cut it. Did your sealant seem fresh?

SCOTMO58

#36 Post by SCOTMO58 »

I sprayed with degreaser, scratched it just a little with some sand paper and then sprayed with brake parts cleaner. The tube had a exp. date of oct 05. I'm hoping that maybe it just was scraping around the ends because thats where it was the thinest. The only thing I didn't do was spray with air after the brake parts cleaner.

wistech

#37 Post by wistech »

It will be fine.

MX Quad Dad

#38 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I was thinking of the coating you put on plier handles. I have two spray cans of the stuff. I never used any of it so I don't know how it would look to spray the outside of the cover.

SCOTMO58

#39 Post by SCOTMO58 »

I think I need to start over again. It's all peeling right off. I'm wondering if they gave me the right stuff at Ford. I'm going to go ahead and peel it all off and clean it better. Wistech, do you know where I can get some of the same stuff that you used?

wistech

#40 Post by wistech »

Its got to be something wrong with it because there is no way in heck your peeling the waker stuff off with your fingers.