spits sputters, dies and an occasional backfire!!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdrider02

#31 Post by cdrider02 »

I can't say for sure that it is the plug but I think you definitely need to change it just to be sure. We get people in the shop all the time that don't know why the bike won't run because they just "cleaned" the plug. In my opinion it is just a waste of time especially when it takes that much work to change it.

dalewannbe

#32 Post by dalewannbe »

moto,

I had a problem last year. My bike would start and idle like a champ. Try to give it throttle and then it would just fall on its face and die.

My problem ended up being a faulty wiring harness. I determined this by process of elimination, and believe me it was a long process that included dropping the motor and making sure the timing was correct and the decompression mechanism was good.

Installed a different harness after all that and I was good to go.

I would say you definitely need a throttle recalc, but if you have a new plug try that first.

Also did you check your stator?

moto440

#33 Post by moto440 »

yea wistech told me hoe to check the stator for shorts and all and it checked out ok. i need to go get a plug for it and swap it, i got everything off to do it now i just need to go get one!!

dalewannbe

#34 Post by dalewannbe »

One other thing, make sure your intake boots are all tight. Where the throttle body attaches to the motor and also to the airbox.

Mine backfired, or should I say front fired, (flames out the throttle body) and it blew the airbox off the throttle body boot.