Motors back in but won't start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jfarrar

#41 Post by jfarrar »

i would try to richen it up a ways.lower your flowrate 100 and bump your offset to like 1.00 jsut to see if anything changes.if it is cold up there and its lean it will never start.we just went though this with usamoto's motor lastnight after adding a falicon.wouldnt start with the settings from the previous 450 settings and we had to play with it a little.kinda like dealing with a women

azcannon

#42 Post by azcannon »

Originally posted by jfarrar
i would try to richen it up a ways.lower your flowrate 100 and bump your offset to like 1.00 jsut to see if anything changes.if it is cold up there and its lean it will never start.we just went though this with usamoto's motor lastnight after adding a falicon.wouldnt start with the settings from the previous 450 settings and we had to play with it a little.kinda like dealing with a women

So the harder you hit it the nicer it is to you ?
Good to know

( its a joke in case your offended pretend you have a sense of humour )

Mjollnir

#43 Post by Mjollnir »

Is your VIN 5b6bb31352b000383? Here are the settings:

MAX THROTT VOLTS: 4.47
MIN THROTT VOLTS: 0.24
THROTTLE POS: 3.9
RPM: 2080
INJ FLOW: 2603
INJ OFFSET: 0.65
AFR: 11.9
AFR FULL: 13.5
OIL PRESS IDLE: 5
OIL PRESS AT REV: 9

Good luck.

Marc

djmc

#44 Post by djmc »

thanks i will give those setting a try this pm

djmc

#45 Post by djmc »

Originally posted by azcannon
So the harder you hit it the nicer it is to you ?
Good to know

I tried the stock settings and then used the stock settings but moved the offset to 1.0 with no change. It cranks but it isn't even trying except for an occasional back fire from the exhaust.
I double checked some obvious things like fuel in the filter and good spark but both seem fine. I am going to look around and see if I can find a clean fuel filter just in case thats a problem. Gettin a little frustrated but you guys are teaching me a lot about troubleshooting and using the D&M. Hopefully I help out someone else someday with this experience.

( its  a joke in case your offended pretend you have a sense of humour )

djmc

#46 Post by djmc »

I changed the fuel filter but no luck. But I have another question. I have read that your idle position should be 3x your idle position when resting on the stop. The stock position is 3.9. Which do you defer to? I tried both but no change. Also when you hit the update calibration button it has a selection called throttle offset is that the same as throttle leakage? Mine is at 0 is that correct?

Derno24

#47 Post by Derno24 »

Ok when setting idle and throttle offset the numbers you are looking for are 3.5% at about 2200 rpms.

Did you read the how to in the fac section on this forum?

If not read it. It will answer your question. It isn't 3x but when you do a throttle recal you add 3% to the exsisting % with the idle screw all the way out. This is a starting location. As it warms up that number will drop and idle will change.

MX Quad Dad

#48 Post by MX Quad Dad »

This is my thoughts. You say it has spark and it is a fresh engine done by BW, so we assume the compression is good (hard to do a compression test on a engine with the decompression mech.) and you say you are getting fuel. That leaves two possible problems, Timming (ignition or valve) or to much fuel. you say the plug is wet when removed? I would remove the plug and diconnect the fuel pump and crank the engine over to get all the fuel out of the cylinder. Then replace the plug and try starting it without connecting the fuel pump. if it fires or not then hook up the pump. If that dosen't work I would then pull the flywheel and check the Keyway on the flywheel.

These would be the first two things I would do. Mainly because you stated the plug was wet but it was getting spark.

Oh yeah, you also stated the injectors were spraying. So I assumed you opened the throttle and cranked it over and it backfired. This is tipical for a flooded engine being cranked over with the throttle opened. Or even a out of timed spark

djmc

#49 Post by djmc »

Originally posted by MX Quad Dad
This is my thoughts.  You say it has spark and it is a fresh engine done by BW, so we assume the compression is good (hard to do a compression test on a engine with the decompression mech.) and you say you are getting fuel. That leaves two possible problems, Timming (ignition or valve) or to much fuel. you say the plug is wet when removed? I would remove the plug and diconnect the fuel pump and crank the engine over to get all the fuel out of the cylinder. Then replace the plug and try starting it without connecting the fuel pump. if it fires or not then hook up the pump. If that dosen't work I would then pull the flywheel and  check the Keyway on the flywheel.

These would be the first two things I would do. Mainly because you stated the plug was wet but it was getting spark.

Oh yeah, you also stated the injectors were spraying. So I assumed you opened the throttle and cranked it over and it backfired. This is tipical for a flooded engine being cranked over with the throttle opened. Or even a out of timed spark

Thanks, makes sense to me. I am glad you mentioned you can't check compression because my guage does not adapt to the small plug size in our motors. I was going to go out and buy one, obviously the decompress would skew any test results. Btw can I pull the flywheel without pulling the motor?

djmc

#50 Post by djmc »

Originally posted by Derno24
Ok when setting idle and throttle offset the numbers you are looking for are 3.5% at about 2200 rpms.  

Did you read the how to in the fac section on this forum?

If not read it.  It will answer your question.  It isn't 3x but when you do a throttle recal you add 3% to the exsisting % with the idle screw all the way out.  This is a starting location.  As it warms up that number will drop and idle will change.

No I did not read that one. I was using one posted by south bay moto. It was not as detailed as the one in the Fac section. I will review that one and try it out tomorrow.