JE Pistons bad???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
aroracer72

#41 Post by aroracer72 »

I bilieve that probably found the weight saving would be greater to use a short rod and more piston material, and they dont make pistons soo all their engineering is excellent they just didnt account for crappy pistons....lol. They should have just stuck with a long rod though and used what works. I would be tickled pink if they swapped my short rod for a long rod but high end performance companies like falicon dont need our little buisness soo there for probably wont be as nice or helpful as they would be to other manufacturers quads.
Chad

CannondaleRider

#42 Post by CannondaleRider »

Hmmmmm

On my next rebuild, I was wanting to get the correct rod on my Falicon, along with a better piston, and maybe some porting.

I'm gonna be quite pissed off if Falicon hassles me for their screw up.....I put down a decent lump of cash for a "perfect" crank...then have to pay more to get it right?....I'll pay for a new bearing if its needed, but paying for the correct rod is bullsh!t in my mind...

Also, is it FOR SURE going to be 8:1 compression with a short rod and JE?....I thought the short rods only lowered the ratio -2:1.....maybe i'm just confused?

I would think 8:1 would be a extremely slow motor. My motor is faster then my sisters stock stroke 450....although not much, it is faster...I don't think it would be at all faster with 8:1

GDITheman

#43 Post by GDITheman »

i was told that the je piston made up for the short rod and gave us close to 12:1. i don't care if i have a high compression engine, but i'd be pissed if it ended up being 8:1. 10:1 i could live with.

i really wanted my boat to be my winter project. i don't feel like messing with the quad. ****.

GDITheman

#44 Post by GDITheman »

falicon emailed me and said it was $172 to get the correct rod.

wistech

#45 Post by wistech »

I had talked to Timbo about what could be done to the falicon . He said that it looked like a dale style rod might be able to be used if the falicon journal could be machined wide enough to accept the beefier bearing. Then it would have to be rebalanced .
The issue is you could get Falicon to upgrade the crank cheaper than having Tim spend what little time he has to mess with it.

Falicon customer service doesnt seem to bad . They replaced a horribly out of balance stroker for me in less than 2 weeks. I have not had to deal with the wrong rod cranks yet.

GDITheman

#46 Post by GDITheman »

is it easier / faster to have falicon send the correct rod to tim and have him replace it or have the engine torn down, send the crank to falicon to be corrected and then sent back for reassebly?

cannondale27

#47 Post by cannondale27 »

To be clear when I said 8:1 I was just making a point being that I saw shortrod with corrected piston Still had a much lower deck hieght than they should.Which would make them lower compression.What about piston smacking crank on bottom?Either way its not good.

GDITheman

#48 Post by GDITheman »

Just ordered my correct rod from Falicon. It was $172 for the rod plus another $20 for the bearing. They said if I sent it to them it would be about another $100 to install the correct rod and a new bearing. The rod will be at my house by Friday.

cannondale27

#49 Post by cannondale27 »

Ouch.Well its a good price for the bearing and the rod under normal circumstances.

wistech

#50 Post by wistech »

$100 for r@r is about right. My local shop is about 80 plus parts.
We did get into a discusion of all the problems with the Falicons on Dalers. It seemed to be mostly of quality control not bad design.