oil everywhere!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
speedracer

#41 Post by speedracer »

Could it be as simple as when I changed the valve cover a piece of gasket or sealer fell in the cam area and worked its way to the scavage pump.This was the first time it was ridden, plus I was in a hurry and didn't change the oil after valve cover install, yea I know. How does one go about checking pump? Thanks for all the help!

cannondale27

#42 Post by cannondale27 »

It could be. Maybe that small one between the two cam gears fell in? To inspect pump you will have to pull the motor to remove the big sidecover. Keep searching till you find what jammed pump. I was doing some experimenting and if you tip a motor with sidecover off this gear will not hit bench unless something else is under it. Tranny gear and idler gear will hit. So odds are that something went through the pump.

speedracer

#43 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Apr 23 2008, 05:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know how that happens. It was the center scavange gear wasn't it?
Whats the skinny Wistech?

thedeatons

#44 Post by thedeatons »

Gasket or sealer would not have caused the scavenge pump to fail, it should have chewed right through that.

If that is actually a question regarding your rebuilds (excess gasket material) you may want to reference some of Timbo's RTV/gasket posts that talk about exactly how much to use. I found that I was using too much...

cannondale27

#45 Post by cannondale27 »

Sure about that Deatons?

thedeatons

#46 Post by thedeatons »

Well, my pump has chewed through metal before.... Metal vs. RTV.... It was an assumption. I suppose anything could happen.

thedeatons

#47 Post by thedeatons »

So... all this is pretty pointless speculation really.

Do you plan to tear into it yourself?

If not you might want to grab one of those "The Cube" coolers by Igloo and ship it to someone. There are lots of good builders here. Find someone who knows what to look for inside the engine that fits into your budget and go with it. The sooner you start the sooner you get it running again!!

ozarkdaler

#48 Post by ozarkdaler »

It is some what convienent that his pumps just happens to go out right after the valve cover change. Anything is possible.

speedracer

#49 Post by speedracer »

Maybe a big ole bug got in the valve train the two months it sat with plastic and rags over the cams,LOL.I had to do it Cory,had me laughing today I almost fell off the ladder I was on!

ozarkdaler

#50 Post by ozarkdaler »

Hey you never know.