Couple ????

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Canniboomer

#41 Post by Canniboomer »

His clutch is still a full 9-friction stack, with just the #1 plate changed to the HD plate. With any amount of wear on a clutch, you can easily SUB up to two thick frictions for the thin frictions, and still run a 9/10 stack.
As we all eventually run out of the thin friction plates, we will all be running the 8/9 HD stack.

You could also check the 6 spring-posts of your clutch basket for excess aluminum shavings caused by the clutch springs. The pressure plate pockets could also be reaming out some slivers. I have some spring-base shims that will buffer against that wear. Also, did you happen to change clutch springs? during your rebuild?
If you had changed them out, you might consider changing back, and keeping the springs torqued rather low -- the manual calls for 39 inch-pounds only, but we cheat that up to 48 inch-pounds max. But some motors?,........ I swear the springs can really be torqued too tight like 10 pounds! -- it's easy to do, and can aggravate that wear inside the clutch hub

desertbound

#42 Post by desertbound »

I did not change my springs. My clutch is in like new condition. That bent fiber was the only thing wrong with it. I didn't see any signs of wear on the clutch and I inspected each steel and fiber. My torque wrench doesn't display inch pounds so I'll have to convert it. I usually just adjust them till they stop and then back off a full turn.

kdeal

#43 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Dec 19 2008, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
......My torque wrench doesn't display inch pounds so I'll have to convert it. I usually just adjust them till they stop and then back off a full turn.

3-4 ft lbs.

desertbound

#44 Post by desertbound »

Thanks Ken.

desertbound

#45 Post by desertbound »

Didn't find anything on the crank side either. Everything looked great. Wasn't even any carbon building on the piston yet. The crank was tight. All bearings are in tact. Didn't even find any shavings. I'm stumped. Maybe the sound was the epoxy plug rattling around. MAybe the clogged tranny filter was cutting off oil flow enough to make the tranny noisy???? Who knows. I'm just gonna finish it up and ride it.