Supercharged Cannondale

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
customcarguy247

#41 Post by customcarguy247 »

Not sure why you have a wategate on a super charger and how you are regulating boost with it since the super charger runs off of a belt. Boost is controled by the size of the pullys running the charger and changes very little with the increase of RPMs on a roots style charger. A wastegate controles the exhaust pressure the hot side of a turbo sees with spring rate and can only increase boost with the addition of a boost controller. Which tricks the wastegate into thinking it is seeing less boost then the turbo is making by closing a valve that is in the vaccume line that goes to the wastegate. It's a little more complicated then that but it's the basics of how thay work to my understanding. I know alot more about turbos then super chargers and if im wrong i apologize and would like to under stand more about how a wastegate works with a super charger.

rayspeed

#42 Post by rayspeed »

Maybe he is talking about a blow off valve... they dump the excess pressure when the throttle plate shuts to take the load off the blower and its drive I am assuming.

cdsracer

#43 Post by cdsracer »

Correct...wastegates are always used with turbo applications to regulate turbo speed by dumping exhaust when at max boost. The wastegate is essentially a pressure actuated valve. We used a wastegate on this setup on the charge pipe instead of exhaust. This way, we could tune and regulate boost by turning a screw instead of changing pulleys (expensive). We used a blow-off valve on the charge pipe also. The blow-off valve is a vacuum operated valve that dumps the boost in the charge pipe when the throttle is abruptly closed (shifting). This was not necessary, but was added because it sounds super cool. Both the wastegate and blow-off valve are referenced to a vacuum port welded into the throttle body below the throttle plate.

The pulleys are sized to prevent blower overspeed at max engine rpm (blowers can only spin so fast like turbos). The cool thing about this type of set up is that it hits max boost at 2500 rpm and stays there all the way to redline.

customcarguy247

#44 Post by customcarguy247 »

Nice i under stand now thanks for th info and good luck with the project