Crankshaft Failures

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
J. Delaney

#41 Post by J. Delaney »

An oil bath probably wouldn't work too well. The clearances SHOULD be too tight for proper lubrication. Also, the crank hitting the oil would cause an entirely different set of problems (oil foaming for one, loss of hp). You would also have to raise the engine in the chassis to accomodate for the sump.

Does anyone know what South Bay does with their oiling modification?

bknight

#42 Post by bknight »

ok then lets go back to 27 what is that hole on the end of the crank for??more oil

bknight

#43 Post by bknight »

do any one know if ABBOTTS RACING
has had crank going out to

thomez

#44 Post by thomez »

The reliability stuff is scaring me away from the machine I love. I'm afraid to ride it now - it's rediculous, I know.

Me after thinking of my Cannondale a month ago = biggrin.gif

Me thinking about it now :confused: :cry:

For those interested in oil pressure, it is listed on the dyno sheets that are on Cannondaler. I always thought it was low...

:confused:

Jaybr

#45 Post by Jaybr »

I'll say it again, I think some of you guys trying to redesign the oiling system are on the wrong track.

Like Thomez said, take a look at the oil pressures listed in the dyno sheets. At rev, they are as low as 3 and as high as 10.5, how much do you guys want to bet that the motors with 3 PSI oil pressure failed long ago?

What we should be trying to figure out is why there is such a large variance in oil pressures, and get them all up around 8-10 psi.

BTW: My 2+ year old motor that I said is still running fine was listed with oil pressure of 10.5 at rev:)

Derno24

#46 Post by Derno24 »

Again I think Jaybr is the man with the answer! It would answer why somethings are burning up.

bphillman

#47 Post by bphillman »

ok, so lets look at this. First, where is the oil pressure measured? Was there a special adapter? and if so, where do we get one. Next, cranks with worn out out of spec connecting rod bearings are going to have lower oil pressure than one with a healthy, in-spec crank.
What was the weight of the oil used during testing, and at what temp was the test done?

I can do some design and testing on a Hi-Vol pump for this motor I believe.. then we'll see if that saves us all. We have to know its worth it though.. I for one would love to be able to retrofit an oil pressure guage to the bike, you can tell a whole bunch about the health of an engine with one of those...

bphillman

#48 Post by bphillman »

or, retrofit an EXTERNAL hydraulic pump with a regulator and an alarm (light) wired to the dash. Kind of a brainstorm, but people have done wierder.. :-)

bphillman

#49 Post by bphillman »

bphillman

#50 Post by bphillman »

and while we're at it.. this is awesome!

http://www.oilmate.com/html/benefits/