New Motor Problems

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jwheat

#41 Post by jwheat »

Were the cranks just not trued and balanced right from the factory? If that is the case, then that is an easy enough fix.

acarli3

#42 Post by acarli3 »

any shop that works on cranks should be able to baalnce the crank. also, the bearings in the cranks don't hold up as long as they should so most are replacing then with the z400 bearings that are a direct replacement.

The crank you have already has been modified by Diamond racing. I am not familiar with their cranks and the mods they do to them but I don't hear a lot of good things about those cranks either. If you read earlier in this thread, you should be able to get some information on the crank. Perhaps it has already been balanced.......perhaps not.

jwheat

#43 Post by jwheat »

Thanks for the help Acarli3. I am going to have the crank rechecked just to be on the safe side. I'm the type that would rather do it while I'm there than have to go back into it later. And...if something's questionable....I replace it.

acarli3

#44 Post by acarli3 »

you have the right mindset

jwheat

#45 Post by jwheat »

This is an update to the "Winky built" motor. The crank was not that bad of setup. It did have needle bearings instead of ball bearings and it had a Carillo rod on it. But...it was over .006 out and had to be trued and balanced. The intake valves turned out not to be bent...they instead had pieces of metal in the head that was holding them open. The head had not been reworked and there was metal shavings thru-out the motor. He did at least install good parts, but did a very piss-poor job of cleaning the motor and installing the parts. This is very shoddy workmanship and I would expect better from someone who professes to be a professional engine builder. I would be extremely embarrassed if a motor left my shop like this after I charged someone 1800.00 to rebuild it. Winky should be ashamed. I have heard of some good work he has done on Cannondales and I hope that this was done by someone that works for him and not by Winky himself, even though that would still not be a good excuse.

To Winky if your reading this...I would fire anybody that worked for me and did this kind of work. :whip:

Happyboy

#46 Post by Happyboy »

motor in the head? Hmmm....check that decompression mechanism!

jwheat

#47 Post by jwheat »

MOTOR in the head???? Sean....you been drinking??:drink: LOL
I think the decompression parts are ok, but I will double check them tomorrow to be sure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sean...look at the "Where to Ride" forum when you get a chance.