oil everywhere!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
speedracer

#51 Post by speedracer »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Apr 25 2008, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So... all this is pretty pointless speculation really.

Do you plan to tear into it yourself?

If not you might want to grab one of those "The Cube" coolers by Igloo and ship it to someone. There are lots of good builders here. Find someone who knows what to look for inside the engine that fits into your budget and go with it. The sooner you start the sooner you get it running again!!

I have learned alot about Cannondales from this site,but I am not going to turn a possable easy repair into a nightmare by goofing something up.Ill pluck it out and ship her to someone.Thanks for the help with finding the problem.

speedracer

#52 Post by speedracer »

I know tis is an old post,but I forgot to mention,when I changed the trans fluid,before this happened I noticed the filter just laying loose.I tried to get it out to the point of pulling hair out (2 hours).In vien,I gave up.Is there a chance the filter,or parts of it got to the scavange pump somehow?It did look alittle fraided.I know,shame on me not getting it runing yet,soon though!

cannondale27

#53 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes that is possible.

thedeatons

#54 Post by thedeatons »

Tranny filter is in a seperate cavity from the scavenge pump, which pumps engine oil... ???

cannondale27

#55 Post by cannondale27 »

Its not seperate.The gear which breaks is in tranny oil.A piece from tranny filter could get into gears.Unlikely but possible.

thedeatons

#56 Post by thedeatons »

Eh? I don't understand.... He said the scavenge pump right? I can understand pieces of the scavenge pump gear getting into the tranny, but not getting into the scavenge pump gear that pumps engine oil.... Seperate system..... right? What am I missing?

Kuma

#57 Post by Kuma »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Jan 25 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eh? I don't understand.... He said the scavenge pump right? I can understand pieces of the scavenge pump gear getting into the tranny, but not getting into the scavenge pump gear that pumps engine oil.... Seperate system..... right? What am I missing?

Hope I'm not stepping into anything here laugh.gif
If the trany oil pump sucked tomething in that won't pass through the pump, and there's not much clearance, then the pump will stop, the motor scavenge pump gear is driving the trans pump, something has to give and apparently the center gear is the weakest link.

I'm pretty new with the 'dales, when I first cracked open the motor I was a bit surprized at the amount of over engineering that went into the oiling systems. I did not have too many 4 stroke bikes before the 'dale, I did have a Husky 510, that bike had NO oil pumps, and if I remember correctly it shared tranny oil with motor oil. the trans oiled by splash, the motor used crank case pressure and a reed valve to pump oil to the top end. I never had an oiling problem, did however break 3rd gear 150 miles into Mexico ohmy.gif found out later that that was a known weak link and there was a fix.

speedracer

#58 Post by speedracer »

I had no idea if something in the trans. could make it to the scavange pump.

thedeatons

#59 Post by thedeatons »

That's kinda what I am saying, I think we are misunderstanding something here....

The tranny/scavenge pump gears/timing chain cavity are all the same. The scavenge pump cavity is seperate, and pumps oil.

It is possible part of the tranny filter got to the scavenge pump GEAR, and stripped that.

It is NOT possible that part of the tranny filter got into the scavenge pump itself....

cannondale27

#60 Post by cannondale27 »

The GEAR is what breaks or strips Deatons.Dont make this more complicated than necessary.9out of 10 times a piece going into the scavenger pump is what strips the gear from the pump being stopped but once in awhile a bolt,Piece of clutch disc or anything else such as a piece of tranny filter gets caught in the gear itself and strips or breaks the gear.It is also possible that a piece could get into tranny pump and when that stops the scavenger pump gear or the tranny gear could strip since scavenger pump gear drives the tranny pump gear.