DOA engine

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Deityracer

#51 Post by Deityracer »

.. I've got a question the "R" and "L" forks in the transmission won't fit where the manual states they go. The illustrations show that the the arm with the nodule offset is L and the one that is centered is R... That's not what they look like. my arms are the exact opposite..

Is this just a typo in the manual??? R arm will NOT fit on the slide nearest to the cartidge plate, the tangs on the forks are just plain too big.

cannondale27

#52 Post by cannondale27 »

Hmm never noticed.Good catch.Will look if mine are wrong.Tranny really can only go together one way.If it worked it must be correct.

Deityracer

#53 Post by Deityracer »

Went through alot of the forums... I know that WW did alot of folks dirty.. but do yall really think his stuff is junk?

cannondale27

#54 Post by cannondale27 »

No.Its obvious the effort and enthusiasm is there but that is not enough.Testing is critical and willingness to admit you were wrong is also important.Of all the contributers to our cause I honestly cant think of one that didnt help in a small way but many times the so called improvements did nothing but cost $ and hurt something else.Like I have said before for any make find a builder that rides the machine and rides it hard and often.They have a direct stake in the results not just $ or fame.That builder is Timbo and his gang.

polyesterpig

#55 Post by polyesterpig »

I have never seen anyone dyno one of those new WWE heads. I know the old South Bay Moto reangled heads have been dyno'd, but this one is totally different. I have seen the new heads, but I have never installed or used one. I am sure mapping would be crucial for any ported head.

When someone is swapping out a toaster exhaust with a moto fmf exhaust or HMF, I think they should be using the moto map or they will be running too lean.

Deityracer

#56 Post by Deityracer »

You know something funny... the only other engines I've torn down (that were OHC) were ducati engines... so I spin the camshaft on the dale and was like "good lord" this is ridiculously hard... forgetting there are springs holding the valves up (on a duc engine there is only a retainer spring on the closing rocker)

Totally off topic but I thought it was just funny at the time.

(sidenote... why do people think desmo engines are hard to work on?!.. this motor is a bear in comparison.. even though this motor is straight forward.)

Deityracer

#57 Post by Deityracer »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Nov 16 2009, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wacko.gif

Do me a favor and post the engine serial number and any numbers you find on the head.

I honestly believe that your cam caps were exchanged with cam caps from another head. The head is indeed a WWE head and uses some of his latest "mods". The eight cooling holes drilled in the head and the billet plate welded to the front of the intake for the injectors are all part of that set-up. The porting is definitely closer in volume than previous designs (a plus). The head I saw had a tapped hole between the two injectors in the front with a heli-coil insert.

AAA5b3000717

number is 13622 on all caps and on the engine.

cannondale27

#58 Post by cannondale27 »

I wish we had a Desmo valvetrain.What type of decomp do they use?None?

Deityracer

#59 Post by Deityracer »

OK guys.. (Did a search before I posted)

While I was wating for parts, I completed the cleanup of the Trans and decided to put it back in. tempoarily buttoned it up(didn't torque them down) and went through the gears. Found all the gears plus neutral and all the gears slid together like butter with the exception on 2nd. it shifted just fine, but I can feel either the gears or the tangs just ever so slightly touching eachother every 1/3rd of a turn. Took it out and everything ran through perfect. put it back in.. did it again.

Anyone experience this?

cannondale27

#60 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes.There is a mod I posted way back with pics that are probably long gone already.Take a look with tranny out and you will see where the two gears hit.It is easy to clearance this and affects nothing else.Almost all trannies do this.