Crank Bearings - do we have the correct info?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
kdeal

#51 Post by kdeal »

Stick with the stock style of crank Main bearings. SKF makes a replacement for the stock Torrington bearing. Everyone was looking for why the cranks were failing when this thread started. Everyone had an answer, but none of them were right until they started using the Z400 rod bearing, shimmed the crank to spec & invested in the Loctite corporation!
blink.gif

wistech

#52 Post by wistech »

It seems the Falicons are very hard on main bearings acording to Tim. It could be from crank flex ,oversized journals or just misalignment from the factory. Most likely a combination of things. The Skf's may help or hurt as it is a tighter fit. We just need to try them out . It may just be a ball bearing although rated for much less load than the rollers could hold up for a few more hours in the falicons. Tim is going to test them out.

Canniboomer

#53 Post by Canniboomer »

It's good to beware of the tighter fit clearance of any alternate bearing. I know of one standard clearance bearing that failed on the crankplate, and the stock bearings have been C3 there (one size looser than standard) -- On the crankplate, it's the OD of that TIGHT bearing that compresses more when installed, and not the race which can be removed easily, and does not expand when installed. Moving to a standard clearance there is a bit risky. For the stator side, that inner race certainly expands more when driven into place, while the outer bearing goes in quite easily. That stator bearing, stock from Cannondale was a C4 looser clearance. I have used C3's with great success (no problems) on that side, but going 2 clearances under to a standard clearance at the stator might be taking a big risk I think. I have used standard clearance bearings for the tranny output, with no problem there at all -- but for the crank main?...dunno.

That's good to mention about the Falicons. I think Tim is now honing out our bearing races on the crankplate side, since the left-side shaft is fatter on the Falicon -- so that mainbearing would be closing up from BOTH directions with a Falicon! But he has also found lots of other issues with the Falicons, so hopefully we will all wean ourselves off of them. I think Tim is quite tired of rebuilding them!

m_mcgranahan

#54 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hey Dave,

I don't think we will be rid of them any time soon because the 2008's all come with them now. Hopefully they will have all the bugs worked out this time around.

God bless...

Mark

wistech

#55 Post by wistech »

I wish tim would stop working on Falicons. But he has to be mr nice guy and lose his arse helping everybody out. The time it takes to rebuild them and the hassle just turns into a money losing situation. Just taking them apart is a roll of the dice that the crank halves wont break.

cannondale27

#56 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (m_mcgranahan @ Jul 28 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Dave,

I don't think we will be rid of them any time soon because the 2008's all come with them now. Hopefully they will have all the bugs worked out this time around.

God bless...

Mark

As far as I know ATK dropped that project because Falicon didnt meet quality control.

wistech

#57 Post by wistech »

Has ATK actually built any quads in the last few years? I heard one guy on atvriders getting a 2008 but he has been quiet for a few months.

cannondale27

#58 Post by cannondale27 »

Last I heard the foreigners are buying them as fast as they put them together. Seems to me they appreciate some things a little more than alot of Americans.

wistech

#59 Post by wistech »

Then maybe they won't bother Tim when their Falicon pins flake out after a month. LOL

cannondale27

#60 Post by cannondale27 »

ATK doesn't use Falicons because they couldn't meet quality. Wait I said that already.......Oh yes Wistech has never had anything go wrong so ATK must be held to his standards. Get over it John.