DOA engine

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Deityracer

#61 Post by Deityracer »

just got the cam gear bolt (it only took a breaker bar, fire, and all 260 lbs of my weight... WTF?!) off, then took the cam gear off.. there is only 2 holes in the Camshaft.. is this an FX400 intake cam?

kdeal

#62 Post by kdeal »

No. All FX400 cams have 12 holes. You didn't need to pull the gear off to check if it was a FX400 camshaft. On the intake cams there are numbers roll stamped into the shaft and they are usually painted silver in color. On the exhaust cams, they have a similar set of numbers and a tang coming off the middle of the cams for use with a cam sensor.

Deityracer

#63 Post by Deityracer »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Dec 1 2009, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No. All FX400 cams have 12 holes. You didn't need to pull the gear off to check if it was a FX400 camshaft. On the intake cams there are numbers roll stamped into the shaft and they are usually painted silver in color. On the exhaust cams, they have a similar set of numbers and a tang coming off the middle of the cams for use with a cam sensor.

Thanks Ken,

I had to pull the gear off because it was jacked in addition to getting the exploded inner bearing race off

So... guys, what the heck is this? anyone seen that type of intake cam before???

cannondale27

#64 Post by cannondale27 »

Can you take a better pic?Cant really see anything odd but its very blurry.

Canniboomer

#65 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (Deityracer @ Dec 1 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.........So... guys, what the heck is this? anyone seen that type of intake cam before???

Yes of course,....... that is the later exhaust cam, and the same as the entire remaining new inventory out there,..... and common in most motors produced since early in 2002. So, that is not the original cam for that motor....they replaced it once already.

BUT, you had picked up a cam gear from me, and the cam gear is not multi-drilled. Since I had assumed you had an FX400 early cam, the cam gear I sent you would be fine if you were going to adjust to non-stock cam timing. There is no need to have both a 12-hole cam AND a 12-hole gear, since the pins can only move in the same 30 degree increments. So, you get the full array of cam hole adjustment with EITHER the cam or the gear as a 12-hole. But now, I see that your cam is 2-hole only, and the gear I sent is the later 2-position (4-hole) for intake or exhasut --therefore all is still OK,...just that you will have to stay at the fixed cam timing as installed, and not adjustable....make sense?

Or, you will have to search for a multi-drilled cam gear to swap for, or get a multi drilled cam. Perhaps you might want to lightly attach the gear and check for timing first with the degree wheel -- since you might want it to be set just that way, as it is. Or, you can then decide to get an alternate gear or cam. Also, if you look at how the OLD gear was oriented to the lobes of the cam, you will likely find that the new gear may attach the exact same way.

Deityracer

#66 Post by Deityracer »

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

cannondale27

#67 Post by cannondale27 »

Isn't it awesome! Congratulations.

Deityracer

#68 Post by Deityracer »

ok so what is the quietest exhaust that isn't the toaster.. The engine noicse I can deal with, it's similar to my Duc with an open clutch cover.. but yeah in WA this HMF ain't gonna fly the way it is right now.

Thanks!

wistech

#69 Post by wistech »

If your not racing and just need an exhaust the pretoaster fmf is a nice exhaust. You will lose about 1hp on the top and 5 foot pounds on the bottom. Plus they holddont break apart as quick and they are cheap. Other wise Id go with an fmf with a quiet core(97-98)db if you need to keep the power. A toaster is actually a good exhaust when they are beefed up inside and the rear mount . Those would be my first chioces to keep it legal. We have had a lot of sucess with dual systems but that big bucks .

Deityracer

#70 Post by Deityracer »

Cool Thanks,

antoher question.. Have an HMF header and it's glowing red at the flange... I know on the YZ250F engine it doesn't matter how rich you have it, the header glows red (I just had to deal with it) how about on our engines... is it too lean, or is that to be expected.