DOA engine

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Deityracer

#81 Post by Deityracer »

I was wrong... BLOAAAWWW!!!!! then it started as described... right up...

rayspeed

#82 Post by rayspeed »

I think that could be tuned out of it with a d&m... maybe a little too much fuel or not enough... a clue would be if the offset was below 1 or over 1.25. Could be that your idle speed is way off too these thing have to idle much higher than any other quad motor 21-2200 and have to for several reasons. Could be needing a throttle cal also.

Deityracer

#83 Post by Deityracer »

Got the quiet core a few days back from boomer... this all I hear is the gal dern engine now!!! Pipe is not glowing anymore. still get a tiny pop now (most likely muffueld by the SA) and starts right up every time... I love this thing... now I gotta just seal the water pump area (one of the seals is bulging out, and needs to be re-sealed.)

kdeal

#84 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (Deityracer @ Dec 20 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got the quiet core a few days back from boomer... this all I hear is the gal dern engine now!!! Pipe is not glowing anymore. still get a tiny pop now (most likely muffueld by the SA) and starts right up every time... I love this thing... now I gotta just seal the water pump area (one of the seals is bulging out, and needs to be re-sealed.)

If the water is leaking out the weep hole in the head just below the water pump, it will be the outermost oil seal on the camshaft and is usually from using too much sealer and displacing the seal as the valve cover is assembled and tightened down. Another possibility is that the inner part of the seal was overheated during initial start up. You need to make sure to lube the inside of the seal or the outside of the cam where the seal rides with a very mild lubricant (lubriplate is the best). This used to drive me nuts until I learned to use very little sealer (or almost none) on the very corners of the seal where it meets the head. Then use a very thin silicone, not the rubberized stuff.

Deityracer

#85 Post by Deityracer »

I'm sorry I shouldn't say seal, but the the big L gasket.

kdeal

#86 Post by kdeal »

Are you talking about a valve cover gasket?

Deityracer

#87 Post by Deityracer »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Dec 21 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you talking about a valve cover gasket?

Yep, it's the only place it could be leaking cause the motor oil is moist laugh.gif Trans oil is fine... Is it just me or is gear oil the nastiest smelling stuff on the planet?

kdeal

#88 Post by kdeal »

You must be using automotive gear oil. Or at least Lucas gear oil. They are both foul smelling. Imagine being under a car and having that crap splatter into your hair while changing rearend oil!

If you use a motorsports based gear oil it does not smell anywhere near as bad. I have had good luck with Maxima and the good oil Honda red gear oil. I like the red color as it allows me to see if any has moved to the wrong side!