Bike dies on uphill.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Powers

Bike dies on uphill.

#1 Post by Powers »

I rode an enduro this weekend. Was by far the fastest quad around. Only problem was that there was two sections where you had to go up a mountain. As I got half way up the bike started to stutter and then die. Wouldnt start again. I left it for a few minutes and went down the hill and started it then. The second time it did the same up the hill. In the staights I get top reffs in fifth gear and no problem. What could be the problem. I installed a bit bigger petrol pump as i couldnt find the original pump in South Africa. Can it be that the pump dont get enough fuel under torque?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Loose wire?Or fuel pickup in tank(if it has one)not routed right?

Powers

#3 Post by Powers »

The pickup on the tank is at the botton at the back of the tank. In top gear flat it doesnt die off? Why only uphill under torque?

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Does it make any difference if the tank is full of gas?I ask this trying to eliminate the possibility that the pump doent create enough suction to do any more than siphon.How big of a mountain are we talking about?

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

For the Old style tanks which you have there is also a bulletin in which you reroute the hose going to the back of tank to the side of the motor rather than over the head in an attempt to get rid of vaporlock problems.This could also be what is happening,fuel filter,diconnect leaking air in or not connected all the way or the screen in tank on top of back fitting also.

Powers

#6 Post by Powers »

Ok Thanks. This is a good tip of which I didnt know. I will reroute the tube. Just expain what you said in a bit more detail. I dont fully understand
This could also be what is happening,fuel filter,diconnect leaking air in or not connected all the way or the screen in tank on top of back fitting also.
My inlet is at teh bottom back and the inlet at the top. Is there still ascreen in the tank?

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

Yes, there is a screen in the tank attached to that fitting.
It's a nuisance, but protects the small passageway thru both fittings.

Powers

#8 Post by Powers »

I cleaned that up this weekend. Thanks. I also did a test. It rained here and is quite muddy. When i go through mud or through a turn and use torque on low refs to go through bike also dies of as it did on the hill. Can it be that the fuel pressure on the D & M is set to low. Not enough fuel?

cannondale440

#9 Post by cannondale440 »

Is your hex code up to date? Mine 02 used to die on hills until I got a updated hex code.

Powers

#10 Post by Powers »

What is a hex code and where do i get a upgrade?