Oil from Exhaust

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Craig_C

Oil from Exhaust (edited)

#1 Post by Craig_C »

Heres the quick rundown

Raced Lorettas last weekend.
Washed the quad on Last Sunday
It ran normal after washing
The quad sat untill today

When I was cranking it over it was shaking like crazy
Once it started, it smoked-alot-like a 2-stroke
The smoke went away after about 10 seconds
Then oil started dripping out of the exhuast-between the silencer and the headpipe.

Any ideas?

speed_demon

#2 Post by speed_demon »

Did you have it standing up at any point?

Craig_C

#3 Post by Craig_C »

While I was washing it- but it ran fine afterwards-no smoke

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Check ball could have stuck.Sometimes they do that.When it sticks oil in frame flows into motor and some can go by the rings causing smoking for a while and even if enough cause hydrolock.Advise:Just do a oil change.It only will do this when it sits not being run.Ball just gets a little crud or doesnt seat right sometimes.Might never do it again.

Craig_C

#5 Post by Craig_C »

Can I take the checkball out and check it??

KRMit

#6 Post by KRMit »

I had the same thing happen to me. It burned a little oil but has ran fine ever since.

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

Not really easy Craig. 1st, it is behind the oil filter housing, so you would have to drop the motor to get to it. 2nd, once you remove the pump the checkball is contained inside the pump housing and is usually sealed with an epoxy of sorts. I have seen 1 instance where it wasn't covered in epoxy but had no reason to get into it. I have heard of cases where the checkball just got stuck and wouldn't close back up and they had to install a new pump housing. But, you aren't there yet. Just get it warmed up and change the oil. I would try and change the oil a couple times and see if it stops. If so, your all set.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by Happyboy
Not really easy Craig.  1st, it is behind the oil filter housing, so you would have to drop the motor to get to it.  2nd, once you remove the pump the checkball is contained inside the pump housing and is usually sealed with an epoxy of sorts.  I have seen 1 instance where it wasn't covered in epoxy but had no reason to get into it.  I have heard of cases where the checkball just got stuck and wouldn't close back up and they had to install a new pump housing.  But, you aren't there yet.  Just get it warmed up and change the oil.  I would try and change the oil a couple times and see if it stops.  If so, your all set.

Happyboy,

The early style motors had "rebuildable pumps" (no epoxy), I just ran across one the other day. The parts are still available from ATK. You have to look at the parts lists for the older motors.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

I mostly see rebuildable pumps. Even the epoxied ones can be rebuilt. Its just a pain.Ive found some of the rubber check balls have little burs on them that can get caught in the seal area causing them to leak. Ive tried removing the oil filter cover and shooting 15psi air into the rear oil fitting to blast the debris out with some sucsess. The best way to prevent this is to change oil often and use magnets everywhere.

Craig_C

#10 Post by Craig_C »

ok......now it doesnt smoke on start up----but it does smoke when under a load or being revved up.