Trouble installing HMF system???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
fourwhls

Trouble installing HMF system???

#1 Post by fourwhls »

I was wondering if the rest of you had as much trouble as I did installing a HMF complete exhaust system.

To start off where the head and tail pipe meet was too tight. I had to go buy a tailpipe expander and open it up just a hair.

Once I got the pipes together, the mounting holes for the tailpipe were way off. I had to run the bike to get the exhaust hot then ,with a 6ft 2x4 as leverage, I had to tweak the head pipe so that all the holes would line up.

What a headache!!!!! I have never had so much trouble installing an exhaust. BUT Its on now and hopefully it wont have to come off anytime soon. I hope it performs better than it fits.

Redman

#2 Post by Redman »

Sorry to here about the trouble, we just got done installing a WB pipe on a predator and that was a pain also.
I would give HMF a call or email and let them know of the problems so maybe they can redesign it or something.

AlaskaSpeed

#3 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

wow...sounds like a nightmare.sad.gif Mine lined up at the head, joint was snug, but I was able to work it in with a couple taps and the silencer lined up with mounts as well.....sorry to hear about your headaches.....JIM

JST

#4 Post by JST »

I was trying to remove my HMF slipon the other day and can't get it to break free from the headpipe.Anyone with this problem before and how did you fix it?I also would like to reuse the pipe so any suggestions need to be able to remove without damaging the pipe/headpipe.thanks.

dawzie

#5 Post by dawzie »

I had problems too. Mine went together OK but I couldnt use the mounting holes on the back. I also have a problem with the Pep's ZPS shock hitting the bottom pipe when I lowered it for ice racing, I had to dent the bottom of the pipe in, make a flat spot, on the side of it where the shock was rubbing it. I also had to raise the rear of the pipe from standard mounting position otherwise it would hit the axel nut when suspension compressed.

fourwhls

#6 Post by fourwhls »

I talked to the guys at HMF this morning. I explained the problems that I had, and suggested some possible fixes.

Hopefully they will use this to modify their product so future customers don't go through the hassle that I went through.

drbowtie

#7 Post by drbowtie »

Are you guys seeing any more performance with this change? Or are we doing this to replace broken parts...

fourwhls

#8 Post by fourwhls »

The freer flowing exhaust is a must in order to run the blaze or moto map.

Definite improvement over stock cannibal or speed.

TurboJay

#9 Post by TurboJay »

If you ever do have to remove it, you might have to replace the header studs. They probably got tweaked when prying on silencer. Just thought I might mention it so that it wouldn't come as a suprise.

Just a little added info for anyone getting ready to put a system on.The best way to insall any exhaust is to mount everything loose then tighten it up.

Jason

dawzie

#10 Post by dawzie »

Good point turbo. There are copper crush washers inside the exhust ports also. I also use a small amount of exhust silicone around the pipes where they enter the head.

My problem is what to do with the stud mounting nuts. I want to put neverseize on it BUT then they will work there way loose. Put loctite on them and I wont get them off because where they are located.

Anyone have an Idea that works ??