Battery Problems?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Powers

Battery Problems?

#1 Post by Powers »

After a day of riding when I get home and leave the bike off for an hour afterwards the bike wont start again. The battery goes dead. Then I got to charge it again. I changed to a KHOYO battery but they dont last. What can the problem be?

Cdale_racer_669

#2 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

is the stator working, pull the flywheel cover and check to make sure the wires are intact. is the fuel pump and everything turning off? thats aplace to start

Psychosis

#3 Post by Psychosis »

I've recently started having the same problems w/mine but after a stator swap to make sure it still happens. Even on the "12" battery. Runs and starts perfect for about 6hrs but if it's off the charger longer than that it dies. Hasn't hurt me yet since I've been taking the charger to hook up between races, but would like to know the problem so you're not alone Powers.

twisted

#4 Post by twisted »

same here:p

Easy E

#5 Post by Easy E »

Hey guys, how are you charging the batteries? Motorcycle batteries can easily be destroyed by over charging. Check the pictures. On the top of your batteries are the charging requirements. The first picture is a Yuasa battery. You can see the charging requirements are fairly low amperage. The battery states that a standard charge is .5 amps at 5-10 hours. A quick charge is good for 5 amps at 30 minutes. The second battery is a Yacht battery. Note the standard charge is only .4 amps at 5-10 hours. Quick charge is only 2 amps at 1 hour. If you exceed these requirements you will "melt" the plates in these batteries and have the problems you are describing. Using a low amp battery tender is the best way to go. If you put these on a car charger (usually 2 or 6 amp) for excessive time - you'll toast the battery.

Easy E

#6 Post by Easy E »

Oops - didn't get the Yuasa battery on there. Here it is: