Stroke or bore?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
theJeStEr1340

Stroke or bore?

#1 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Alright, this comign winter my motor will be getting rebuilt. It will be built to a 450, but I am torn on what to do, Stroke it, or put a JE 450 piston in it. Can you run pump gas with the 13:1 JE piston? I don't think so, but was wondering.

Now a little about what I do. I race MX mostly, but still do a little trail riding, trail riding might stop if I don't get over this obsession with widening my quad though, 50in is a bit wide for trails.

So what do you guys think would be best, if I dont go with the stroker I will make sure my crank is balanced and go with a z400 bearing. I would also liek to get a little head work done (reangled injectors, maybe port/polish).

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

How old is this motor. What ever route you decide do not buy anything until you tear it down. You could have a suprise when you get the crank pressed apart. Not saying this WILL happen to you but another 400-500 is painfull when you are not expecting it.

I would go with a stroker...more power, crank is better.....and replacement pistons and such are much cheaper.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

Stroke it. Stock piston kits are cheaper. The stroker for the Dales gives more usable power than the big-bore kits alone. Now put them both in and find a way to keep the front end down!!!

theJeStEr1340

#4 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

Originally posted by kdeal
Stroke it. Stock piston kits are cheaper. The stroker for the Dales gives more usable power than the big-bore kits alone. Now put them both in and find a way to keep the front end down!!!

I don't need both.

How much is it to get a timbo stroker? and do I have to send him my crank/rod?

haydug

#5 Post by haydug »

Originally posted by kdeal

The piston kit is cheaper, but, which is cheaper in the long run? I like the power that the 450 kit produces. I personally have not ridden a stock bore stroker motor, so can't help you decide on which is better. My philosphy is always (and I learned this from the wife smile.gif ) Bigger is Better!!

parks9

#6 Post by parks9 »

stroke it bigger!

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I think the point Haydug was making is worth noting.The JE was designed to last longer than a Wiseco.Wiseco does tend to collapse skirts allowing piston slop.JE was specifically designed to stop that from occuring.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

C27,

The stock piston kits are no longer Wiseco. Except for what Brad has, the stockers are from ASO (not sure on spelling). The sleeves can still be an issue though. Any sleeve bought should be checked for too deep of an index hole. I just installed one from Brad, and itlooks good, and cheap too!

To everyone else: Doug's 450 piston kit is cheaper than the Falicon stroker by a lot.

My reference previously was to spend the big bucks once and then it becomes cheaper to rebuild later.

chigger81

#9 Post by chigger81 »

Originally posted by theJeStEr1340
I don't need both.

How much is it to get a timbo stroker? and do I have to send him my crank/rod?

I tore my motor down and found a huge crank problem. Its not fun, and the aftermath is pretty ugly. Its not always as easy as putting in a z bearing. The timbo crank is an awesome option. Ive got a stroker crank from timbo with an atk piston/sleeve. I think its been almost a month since I had tim do my stuff, but I got the stroker portion done for 475. Hes really busy, but he takes care of you. Tim has been an awesome help to me. Im just a flywheel key away from making this thing rip. biggrin.gif Hopefully I get that straightened out tomorrow and I will tell ya what I think by the first of next week.

Edit: send him your crank, your low end, or your whole motor.

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by chigger81
Im just a flywheel key away from making this thing rip. biggrin.gif Hopefully I get that straightened out tomorrow and I will tell ya what I think by the first of next week.

If you're needing a key, a yamaha dealership should have one. If you already have one, you know where to get the next one. smile.gif