No go

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
chigger81

No go

#1 Post by chigger81 »

Today, I was aparently not meant to ride.

I took the bike to town to get the flywheel taken off again. On the way back, the seat flew out of the back of the truck on a gravel road. I looked for an hour and didnt find it.

The flywheel went on fine with my homemade key - about the only thing that went right.

I got all the fluids in and attempted to start it. I turned the key and noticed my leg wet with gas. The injector o-ring got cut when I put it in the first time. So I took the thing down to the throtle body and got it straightened out and not leaking.

I put it all back (minus plastics) and attempted to start it again. This time there were no leaks, but it seemed like no spark. I didnt even get a backfire.
I took off the tank and got to the plug. It had spark and was not fouled.
I still cant get this thing to even attempt to fire. Only heard it choke out the airbox twice the whole time Ive tried cranking it.

Ive got my clutch adjusted all the way and its still not fully disengaging. Im guessing I need to take off the actuating arm to adjust?

While taking out my agression with some very quick trail riding on my buddy's ex, his clutch cable snapped. I speed shifted home. It seemed to cap off the whole day.

The motor is a timbo stroker and I'm on the 500 ECU. If anyone has any ideas please share them.

Also, Im looking for a good seat that would match my silver and black.

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

If your plug is getting fire but it isn't starting, did you check your homemade flywheel key? Maybe it didn't hold up and is throwing it off time. How's the battery charge? I'm just guessing here. I'm not really an expert.

On the clutch thing, do you have a hydraulic clutch?

Sounds like you had a bad day. I hope things get better for you.

chigger81

#3 Post by chigger81 »

Got a cable clutch, I will take the flywheel cover off and look at that tomrrow. thanks

edit: just looked at it again. charging battery overnight. flywheel and key look fine to me. I filed it down as close as I could the measurments timbo gave me, and its not breaking and it doesnt have any play. I found the injector kinda funny when I took it apart earlier - the metal was kinda slid in the plastic part. I just had to pop it back to normal, but I guess the injector could be bad...?

chigger81

#4 Post by chigger81 »

Update:

I pluged a test light into the coil wire and it apears im not getting any juice to it when I turn the starter over. Where do I trace that to? Is this an acurate test to see if Im getting spark or should I try jumping it to the head like you would normally on a jap quad? I was afraid I might hurt the coil trying that.

EDIT: I was not testing right, Im getting juice when I hook the neg to the battery. :confused:
to make an even bigger fool of myself, lol, the clutch does not fully disengage even when the arm is touching the case. Any idea what I put together wrong there?

Cdale_racer_669

#5 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

thats quite the horrible day.sad.gif :mad: i would say hook up the D&M and see if it gives u any faults, but u got the 500 ecu. is the spark plug sparking? make sure the injectors are connected right, as well as every other connection. is there a lot of gas being ran back into the tank? if so one of the injector leads might not be on right. seeing how u havent ridden a dale or really ran one, itd be hard to know a normal vs alot of gas running through. but you can probably sorta tell becuase when one is unhooked it pours gas back into the tank. i have no clue if the 500 computer does it, but maybe the ECU isnt letting it fire becuase that flywheel key is doing something weird to the crank position sensor. did u try using a LIL gas. the plug will foul if u use it, but if its running lean on the bottom then u will have to use some gas to get it to start, or idle is too low.
-just throwing out some ideas here:)

chigger81

#6 Post by chigger81 »

Its getting better, Phyc has a seat for me, and I found that Im not getting spark, gonna test the coil tomorrow cause I got power to it and the plug is good, so its either my coil or the connection to it.

The clutch still has me confused. It does not fully disengage even when the arm is touching the case. I took it apart today and checked to make sure the ball was in place and the plates were all in right. I dont get it. I think Ive got it put together right. Talked to timbo - his idea was that the aluminum fx plates may have gotten out of order. Maybe they just arent "meshing". Any other ideas?

Psychosis

#7 Post by Psychosis »

Originally posted by chigger81
Its getting better, Phyc has a seat for me, and I found that Im not getting spark, gonna test the coil tomorrow cause I got power to it and the plug is good, so its either my coil or the connection to it.

The clutch still has me confused. It does not fully disengage even when the arm is touching the case. I took it apart today and checked to make sure the ball was in place and the plates were all in right. I dont get it. I think Ive got it put together right. Talked to timbo - his idea was that the aluminum fx plates may have gotten out of order. Maybe they just arent "meshing". Any other ideas?

I had a similar problem w/mine. I dissambled the whole clutch and removed the ball and all and then did a full check and reassembled. When I did that I didn't notice anything different but it worked perfectly and the clutch was fine. Timid things they are I guess. May not be your problem but sometimes these things just don't make sense.

2000ex

#8 Post by 2000ex »

Check the adjuster screw on the clutch hub. It is a small allen head with a lock nut keeping it in place. It may be completely mis adjusted. Try screwing the allen head in so it comes into full contact with the clutch pushrod.

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by Psychosis
I had a similar problem w/mine. I dissambled the whole clutch and removed the ball and all and then did a full check and reassembled. When I did that I didn't notice anything different but it worked perfectly and the clutch was fine. Timid things they are I guess. May not be your problem but sometimes these things just don't make sense.

I had to do the same thing on my girlfriends blaster. I seemed to assemble it right the first time but the clutch didn't work fully. I took it apart and put it back together and it worked ok.

comander420

#10 Post by comander420 »

I had that happen the fisrst time I put my dale back together, the clutch basket top wouldn't sit snug on the plates so I forced it on and screwed it doen then relized it didn't come apart like that, took it apart and relized the top plate wasn't sitting in the grooves all the way. It doesn't have spark when you stick a plug in and ground it to the motor? If so your probably got a bad coil