Clutch adjustment help

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
ATKnewbie

Clutch adjustment help

#1 Post by ATKnewbie »

I was adjusting my clutch according to some instructions posted on this site:

Adjusting the clutch:Take the black clutch cover off.Loosen the locknut located in the center of the faceplate till flush with allen screw(You need the tool or a 90deg snapring pliers works to hold the slotted)Once nut is loose turn the allen screw all the way in till it is tight(this pushes the slave back so not just tension,tight) then back the allen screw off 3 full turns,tighten the lock nut(without changing position of allen screw)put cover on and your done.

Concerns:
When screwing the allen screw in, it went in about five to six turns. Far enough that the nut fell off because the screw was threaded all the way in with no thread left.
Thus, when I unscrewed it three turns the nut does not thread on all the way. By only backing the screw out three turns only leaves enough thread exposed for the lock nut to thread about half way on when tight.

I followed the instructions above to the word and the clutch is supposed to be pretty new.
Did I do something wrong or is there something wrong?
This worries me, I am picturing in my head the nut falling off while the motor is running....

ATKnewbie

#2 Post by ATKnewbie »

Another note, I did notice when threading the allen screw in the clutch looked like it push out a bit and did not go back in when I backed the screw out three turns?

ATKnewbie

#3 Post by ATKnewbie »

bump

cdalerider75

#4 Post by cdalerider75 »

Do you have a cable clutch or hydro clutch, you never stated that.

61austin

#5 Post by 61austin »

Does the clutch still engage?

ATKnewbie

#6 Post by ATKnewbie »

Hydrolic clutch.

Looks like it will, but have not been able to start the dale since making the change. It was 11:30 last night when I got to this point and my wife would kill me...

I plan on testing when I get home from work today, but was hoping to hear from others with more experience than I.

It just worried me that I turned the screw in 5-6 turns, far enough that there were no threads left outside the pressure plate so the lock nut fell off.

Got the nut back on after turning the screw out three turns, but only about half way.

61austin

#7 Post by 61austin »

I would back the screw out unitl you can get the lock nut on good and try it out. You can also try turning the pressure plate by hand before you put it back together. If it turns with the clutch engaged then you need to loosen the adjusting screw some more.

ATKnewbie

#8 Post by ATKnewbie »

Has anyone else had this same thing happen to them?
The allen screw turn in far enough that all thread are inside the presure plate?

kdeal

#9 Post by kdeal »

You are missing some parts some where. Pull up a parts diagram for the clutch and make sure you have all the parts. Second, how many clutch plates are you using? Metal? & fiber?

ATKnewbie

#10 Post by ATKnewbie »

I did not take the clutch out, was just adjusting it.
I do not know how many plates are installed.
When I purchased the dale I received a receipt from ATK that they had just rebuilt the motor and installed a new clutch, so I am assuming they did it correctly.

I was adjusting it because the clutch was not grabbing until the lever was almost completely released.
It did not slip once the lever was released, but was making it hard for people like my wife to ride.