Important discovery with our fuel flow!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
USAMoto00

Important discovery with our fuel flow!

#1 Post by USAMoto00 »

This past week has been a very stressfull week for me because of one thing, my quad started acting up. I've had not one problem with this quad for almost 3 years when it started to hesitate or hiccup on me last weekend. So I did what we all would do and started to diagnose the problem. I changed the fuel pump, then the regulator, then the quick connects and thier O-rings. Nothing. So I rerouted the fuel lines and tried different gas, changed the spark plug and the coil just to be sure, still no improvement. The quad would only hesitate in two instances- it would almost cut out when you approached a jump that had a tall enough face that it would squat and then rebound on the face or if I overjumped something and it would be that weightlessness point when the quad would squat and then spring back up. So the more I thought and the more time I put into fixing it, the more irritated I was getting. The only things that I did different last weekend was run race gas and change the fuel filter because of the gas. So I thought that maybe the fuel filter was bad and bought 2 more from the local dealer. Sure enough, the more I watched the filters, the more I noticed. Last time I watched my filter (like a year ago) it stayed about 3/4's full of fuel while running. Not these filters! It would be full from sitting, but when started, the quad would drain the filter completely within 30 sec. to a minute and be running from the straight stream out of the tank into the filter only. So everyone, check your filter's and make sure that they are not starving your quad for gas! It could make for a very UGLY jump if it does.:usa A $2 part cost me a week of riding and a huge headache.

USAMoto00

#2 Post by USAMoto00 »

I almost forgot. I want to thank Farrar and Kevin Deason for helping me brainstorm the problem and solution. Also Doug for giving me some ideas as well. Thanks for helping me fix my quad guys.:clap:

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

So what filters are you using now? Every filter I have seen on the dales always has very little visible fuel in it while running.

USAMoto00

#4 Post by USAMoto00 »

Well, I have one of the original C-dale filters on it now, but Deason gave me the style with the round paper with the metal on the bottom in the same old style plastic housing. They are like the ones found on Ebay. Just be careful about how much fuel that is visable. I ended up having 5 brand new filters and 2 old ones and each filter had different flow rates or resistance by what I could see in the filters. I had some that had 0% fuel in them and stream only, some had around 25% holding rate, and the 2 original filters have about 75-85% holding rate in them. I haven't tried the one that I got off of Deason yet. Just let them idle for a minute and if it sucks all the fuel out, it's bad. As long as there is excess fuel held in the filter, I'm sure that it would be alright. But any ideas why these are all holding different amounts of fuel in them? Bad filters or different flow rates? Bad quality control maybe.:confused:

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

If the fuel filter is not rated for the flow of a fuel injection system you could be in trouble. I have been picking up the OEM Fram filters for a good price. They were originally used on the FI Volkswagens, so they are definitely going to work. I have seen several replacement type filters that I would not use, except in emergencies.

USAMoto00

#6 Post by USAMoto00 »

Ken, is there any certain or special way that we can tell or test these filters to know if they are FI compatable? I don't like crashing and I'm sure nobody else does either, these "look alikes" could cuase severe injury for people who don't know about this.sad.gif

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

Brian,

PM me, and I will give you some info on the metal reinforced ones that will make your day. I can also get the OEM Fram filters for a pretty good price.

Unfortunately, there is not too many ways to eyeball them and tell the difference. I have seen someone selling some on Ebay that I wouldn't put on my lawnmower. If the filter is just an in-line universal filter, I doubt it would hold up to the pressure of fuel injection over a long term. I am not an engineer, but I sold auto parts at every level ( retail, jobber, distributor, & OEM) for over 10 years. There is a difference in the quality of parts.

USAMoto00

#8 Post by USAMoto00 »

Once again, Ken is the man with the plan. lol Thanks for the info.:clap: :usa

quadprorider

#9 Post by quadprorider »

So which one would you guys rather use:

a original style filter?

or a napa gold 3011 style silter?

Brian,

Which onese were you having some issues with? I would then like to stay away from that type. Thanks in advance, Nick.

saltus440

#10 Post by saltus440 »

the napa 3011 is the same as what ATK would sell you except you don't pay the inflated price and have to wait a week for it:deal:

Napa# FIL3011