How to Dyno w/o a plug wire?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Zerotact

How to Dyno w/o a plug wire?

#1 Post by Zerotact »

Alright guys, how do you hook one of these beasts up to a dyno without a plug wire for the inductive pickup to work on?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

It is a wiring thing.It worked great on a 03 quad but we couldnt get anything accurate from the 02 or mine.On the 03 we went to one of the coil wires.Why it worked on one but not other I have no idea.Otherwise just do speed based charts.

quadprorider

#3 Post by quadprorider »

I bought a hour meter that runs off the power that goes through a regular spark plug wire, but since ours have coil packs, where should I wrap the wire around? I'm guessing the coil pack? By the way, it's a 03.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Try one of the coil wires it might work.Wistech has his wrapped around coil itself.

quadprorider

#5 Post by quadprorider »

Does it matter where you wrap that wire at on the coil? I was thinking of just wrapping it on the very top.....

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

...the only possible wrap is at the very top of stock coil, since throat clearance is too tight with even the thinnest wire.... or just wrap around THIS cable:

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

He He that was solution for mine:D Cant wait for dyno next time!

quadprorider

#8 Post by quadprorider »

What cable are you referring to, the red one?

jwheat

#9 Post by jwheat »

I hooked to one of the wires going to the coil. I then adjusted the rpms to match the D & M. Worked great.

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

Originally posted by quadprorider
What cable are you referring to, the red one?

Yep, that red cable replaces your buried pencil coil, and comes with the Hotwire Cable & Coil Kit -- I have them for $125 shipped, custom for Cannondale.... this is an earlier pic of the coil mount and wire, but I recently installed one in a different location that doesn't need drilling for rivets -- I need to post new pics.