Busted Magura

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Jaybr

Busted Magura

#1 Post by Jaybr »

I've been here and on the other board for a long time, and I've never seen a problem like this posted.

Checked my valve cover for pitting tonight and found it's pretty bad so I decided to drop the motor. When I pulled the Magura clutch off I saw a small piece of metal up in the tranny. Upon inspecting the clutch assembly, I found that 90% of the outer edge on the part that goes in the tranny is broken off. I think it's some sort of lip because there was a c-clip in there with nothing to hold it in place. I looked up in the tranny and found another much larger piece of the broken edge. The 2 pieces I found acount for about 90% of whats broken off, the thing that really scares me is where's the missing peice, and how much damage will it do? The pics are a little blurry, but you should see what I'm talking about.

Jaybr

Another Pic

#2 Post by Jaybr »

another view

RetroZ

#3 Post by RetroZ »

Did you pull the clutch handle when you had your clutch apart? I did and my slave cylinder did the same thing. Contact JCV400EX on here and he can hook you up with a new one. Dealers will want to sell you the hole set up for $225. He can get you just the cylinder.

RetroZ

#4 Post by RetroZ »

I meant JCV440.

Jaybr

#5 Post by Jaybr »

This was the first time I had it out, and it came out that way. I'll call Jim.

Jaybr

#6 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by ZWILLDOG
NEVER TAKE THE WHOLE UNIT OUT OF THE MOTOR JUST UNSCREW IT FROM THE BASE PLATE AND REBLEED IT WHEN YOUR DONE

Mine has never been out of the motor, and if I didn't pull it out this time I would have never known it was broken. If I hadn't found the problem, the loose metal would have eventually found it's way into my tranny and could have caused major problems.

I found (actually Nrath found) the missing piece, it was in the clutch plate cover next to the ball.

WJR

#7 Post by WJR »

Hey, that looks just like my broken clutch. I pulled the cluch lever with my clutch out. I won't do that again.

Deityracer

#8 Post by Deityracer »

so is there any more information on this??? this has me worried. let us all know.

D

Jaybr

#9 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by Deityracer
so is there any more information on this??? this has me worried.  let us all know.

D

Mine is fixed, I got the new slave cylinder and installed a couple days ago. It's simple to install and bleed, the thing to worry about would be the broken metal peices if they got into the tranny.

From what I can tell, if you pull the clutch lever without significant pressure on the piston mechaninsim it will push through the slave cylinder case. Just don't squeeze the clutch lever with the clutch out and it'll be fine.

drbowtie

#10 Post by drbowtie »

Any way to tell if this happened to my machine without pulling it apart? I know for a fact that I pulled the lever when I was attempting to line up the clutch cover with the basket. Should I be taking the clutch thingy apart?