Death at Half Throttle

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
KRMit

Death at Half Throttle

#1 Post by KRMit »

I went to crank the Dale Saturday night and apparently the check ball got stuck on me and the cylinder was hyrdo-locked. I took the plug out and blew out the oil. After putting the plug and tank back on it fired right up.

The next day I went to the track and made one lap before it started cutting out and backfiring. It does it right around half throttle. If I rev it up slowly it'll rev though.

I've changed the plug to no avail. I'm going to try replacing the fuel filter tomorrow. Does anyone have any other ideas? Could some of that oil getting in the coil cause problems?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

I would check the fuel quickconnects odds go up hugely of failure of them to work right anytime you actually use them.Which you did when you changed plug.

dalewannbe

#3 Post by dalewannbe »

Check your battery connections too. I had a loose connection and the quad would stall out when I hammered on the throttle.

KRMit

#4 Post by KRMit »

Well, all the electrical connections still seem to be good. Replacing the fuel filter did no good. Jwheat is going to check the fuel pump for me. This is so frustrating.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Did you rip the guts out of your fuel quick connects yet? Was the tank strainer plugged?

KRMit

#6 Post by KRMit »

We haven't pulled the quickconnects off yet. I didn't think about the strainer. I'll get back to ya once we try that. We might just swap the whole tank.

KRMit

#7 Post by KRMit »

We've tried changing the fuel pump now and that didn't help. We also pulled the quickconnects off to make sure they're ok and checked the hose in the tank. I think the next step is to check the injectors. Anyone have any other ideas?

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

It is possible that the new plug you put in is also fouled now because all the oil in cylinder wasnt burned out.Or could be a coil.Missing under load is typical of a ignition problem.Did you check flywheel?

comander420

#9 Post by comander420 »

pull on your injector wires to see if they are still connected, if they are look in the throttlebody and start it to see if both injectors are spraying. Might have had an injector wire loose

jwheat

#10 Post by jwheat »

I leaning toward a bad injector or a bad TPS. There is a dead spot on the throttle just off of idle. If you ease on the throttle, you can get it past that spot and it will rev to the limiter. If you just stab it.....it dies. I've checked all of his connections, fuel lines, fuel conectors, sump in the tank, fuel pump, and spark plug. There is no fault in the computer for injectors or TPS, but it acts like it is too lean or that it has a burned spot on the TPS. I guess I'm going to have to get my oscilloscope and check these items also.