Engine Magnets

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
zacke22

#1 Post by zacke22 »

Is this "upgrade" or a must have? Im in the process of putting in a new crank, and i figured i might as well put some magnets in while im at it. Where do you put the magnets at and what do you use to attach them to case?(or w/e else you put them)
thanks
Zack

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

I work and live beside cdsracer, who is in my opinion the magnet guy! We work with magnets all day long, so we have an advantage there, and Chris has found some effective places to position magnets, to avoid catastrophic engine failure. After the little bit that I have seen and the years Chris has worked on these, they are not optional in my opinion. Think of them like magnetic drainplugs, mandatory and should be check when draining the oil... James

jwheat

#3 Post by jwheat »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Feb 8 2007, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I work and live beside cdsracer, who is in my opinion the magnet guy! We work with magnets all day long, so we have an advantage there, and Chris has found some effective places to position magnets, to avoid catastrophic engine failure. After the little bit that I have seen and the years Chris has worked on these, they are not optional in my opinion. Think of them like magnetic drainplugs, mandatory and should be check when draining the oil... James

Contact Kdeal about magnets. He or Wistech either one can also tell you where and how to apply them for best coverage.

Jimbo

thedeatons

#4 Post by thedeatons »

I suppose it would be safe to say there are many magnet people... The important thing is to understand they are mandatory...

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

This location is just an example, but nothing iron-steel can get past this rare-earth magnet, stuck to the lower slant of the OUTER case, with exterior double-stick. You just peel it off with a stiff putty knife during a motor service, of if wanting to clean the sump with a wand magnet. I have done the same thing with cheaper bulky magnets, and they also work fine and have not fallen off.

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

.....if you get lucky, you might dredge up a missing set of diesel-pusher keys! biggrin.gif

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

I am by far no expert on magnets. It wasn't even my original idea (I got it from C27 & Wistech). All I did was a little research and sizing to find the best stuff for our applications. The magnets I found are super strong and will pinch skin if played with. I use a cylinder shaped "rabbit pellet" sized one in the oil inlet screen assembly at the back of the motor. It just sits in the cage loose with no where to go, but no oil can get into the motor without going over this magnet. The second one I use is about the size of a quarter but thinner, that is epoxied to the floor plate under & just foward of the scavenge pump pick-up screen. This one is installed thru the little cover that the engine oil drain plug screws into. I also have been installing a magnetic oil drain plug down there as well for a quick look when changing my oil. I take another quarter shaped one and epoxy it in the transmission area near the bottom under the filter, this catches anything floating around in the tranny. Boomer has a nice magnetic trans drain plug as well. Lastly we install one or two tiny disc shape magnets like the quarter size ones but less than 1/2 of a dime in diameter. We used these in the cylinder head oil drain back area to catch any valve train pieces from making a mess of the cams. Do not put it right in front of the drain hole as if you pick up a piece of decomp it could block the flow of oil. Hope this helps.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Just put a set of Kdeal's magnets in the Happyboy motor. Wouldn't do a motor without them after countless hours of frame cleaning and a good years worth of oil changes before metal from Winky crank failure finally stopped showing up. So far magnets in mine caught a broken wristpin clip, decomp half and any little metal associated. Caniboomer doesn't the skidplate wear on case in area your magnet is attached too?

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

At the very least the pellet magnet in the rear oil line is a must. It's fairly easy to change (just pop the hose off and insert metal rod to pull out) They really work fantastic but need to be checked. If let go it can collect so much debris that oil flow could be blocked off. If you had a crank failure then I would change them after just a few minutes of run time. I have also glued the pellet magnet into one of the pleats of the stainless filters which is the ultimate in convenience.

jwheat

#10 Post by jwheat »

Why not take the engine oil sump apart and place one of the quarter size magnets inside it? It won't have to be epoxied.... can't go anywhere...... and is easy to take out and clean when you change the oil.