Ran good...no longer does?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
CannondaleRider

Ran good...no longer does?

#1 Post by CannondaleRider »

Ok, we got the Timbo 450 running. We got it running on Saturday, made sure oil was flowing, coolant was flowing, etc.

We had a coolant leak and had to fix that. We started it up today, and it looks like its good to go.

So we started the break-in process, my sister ran it down the road(1/4 mile) and back, from idle to 1/4 throttle. But, when she got back, she said it felt like it was trying to run out of gas

So I took off, went about the same distance, and on the way back, it started spuddering and died(like it ran out of gas). I tried to start it, and it will not start.

Every once in a while we'll get a backfire, but it won't fire.

Tank is full, fuel filter is full, return line is good, its got spark, but it seems like it's not getting fuel into the cylinder(when we were testing for spark).

Any simpler ideas before we pull the injectors?

Cannondale88

#2 Post by Cannondale88 »

Check ur flywheel..Could be messed up

also check the boot from the motor to the TPS, It could be cracked.

CannondaleRider

#3 Post by CannondaleRider »

Flywheel is good, boot looks good.

Just curious, but wouldn't it still try to start even if the boot was cut/cracked

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

Check the connectors to the fuel injectors if one is off it won't go. It may look on, but I have had to really push sometimes to get that click. Then I usually give it a tug just to make sure she is on good.

Cannondale88

#5 Post by Cannondale88 »

Originally posted by CannondaleRider
Flywheel is good, boot looks good.

Just curious, but wouldn't it still try to start even if the boot was cut/cracked

Possibly, or it would backfire, thats why i was wondering that.

azcannon

#6 Post by azcannon »

I bet 1 million monopoly dollars that its one of your fuel lines/ connections/disconnects. Probably exactly what you think it is- running out of fuel , don't pull the injectors.

CannondaleRider

#7 Post by CannondaleRider »

But it's getting fuel through the pump, the rail, the regulator, and back into the tank.

The only thing we have not checked is the injectors. What else could it be, fuelwise?

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

I was commenting about the wiring to the injectors. If they were not tight than this would happen. Push and pull on the wiring to the injectors.

azcannon

#9 Post by azcannon »

How sure are you that that fuel line is compatible with fuel injection? have you ever rebuilt the ends ad did you try your other tank ? I have one you guys can try but I need it back and that will rule out that tank/ Fittings
I truly believe you have a fuel issue , if it sstarts and runs the same way tommorrow and shuts down the same I bet its fuel and check you filter after it shuts down it can be clamping off too

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

I had the same problem when I reprogrammed the ecu. I forgot to do the throttle recal and fouled the plug. I put a new one in and it still did it a little. So with a little tweaking with the d&m she purs like a kitten....or rattles like a bucket of bolts LOL. This may not be your problem at all but the symptoms sound the same.