hexcode problems

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
harleypitbull1

hexcode problems

#1 Post by harleypitbull1 »

I had a computer lock up during an upload of a map. I was told that I would have to reinstall the hexcode into the ecu. I tried the one that was on the website and it gave me a crazy pop up, I think about the program that wrote it. So I tried to load the one that was programmed onto the d and m kit but it would not load that one either. What do I need to do? I put a spare computer in the quad and it is dying now and never did before. So I assume that this is because of the computer. Help please

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

If you bought your D&M recently, the hex code should be included in the same folder as the maps. What kind of error are you getting when trying to load it? Sometimes I have to reset my comm port to get it to work but mine is screwy because of my usb-serial adapter. Also, make sure that the battery on the cdale is fully charged and use a fully charged battery or ac adapter for your computer.

harleypitbull1

#3 Post by harleypitbull1 »

It has been a few weeks since I tried it, so I cant remember the exact error. I will try it again tomorrow. Tim told me something about taking off the starter wire and holding the start button the entire time that I was loading the hex. I have not tried that either.

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

Oh yes. I forgot about that. You could try that too. I have never had to do that though. I have only been around a couple of others during the d&m process besides mine. I haven't seen that method used on those either but I'm sure Tim knows what he's talking about. He's been around way more than I have.

harleypitbull1

#5 Post by harleypitbull1 »

I am using the direct serial cable ******. Why? I tryed to use the usb adapter but when I plugged it into my laptop, it said hardware not detected. I did not have the software that came with the usb hookup so I used the other cable. I got the d and m kit from a dealer that does not use it anymore and there computer crashed. Optimum turned it back on for me, I could not believe it. Maybe my luck is changing.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

The D&M never came with a usb hookup. The only way is an adapter and you have to use a select few adapters to get it to work right. Even after you get one to load maps, only a couple of those will load the hex.

harleypitbull1

#7 Post by harleypitbull1 »

I am using just the cable. I have the usb adapter but it wont work. The quad is an early 02 and I tried just reloading the map but after the computer froze, it would never communicate with the ecm again. I panicked at first, I thought I fried it. So I do need to disconnect the started and hold the button for it to load? yes or no

jesshamner

#8 Post by jesshamner »

Finding out which error is occurring will tell why its not working. There is also some error messages in the efi manual which can be found on either or both the cdale websites. If I remember correctly, they tell what the error means.

dalewannbe

#9 Post by dalewannbe »

On my 2 - 02 cannondales I have to hold the starter button down the whole time while loading hex code. Sometimes it takes multiple times to load.

My two quads have the clutch safey wire still intact, so I don't pull the clutch in, just hold the start button down.

I try and not move while holding the green start button down, seems like if I flinch, it will cause the hex code to fail loading, then I have to start the whole process over again, I just can't push the start button in again.

haydug

#10 Post by haydug »

Early 02 you will 99% chance you have to hold down the start button. I ususally unplug the selinoid. As Gus said, don't flinch, the slightes movement causes it to stop, and you are back to holding it down and starting over.