Please Help I Feel Like Throwing out my Dale

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
djjeff4i

Please Help I Feel Like Throwing out my Dale

#1 Post by djjeff4i »

Ok,
So I decided to do some maintence on my new 02 Cannondale Cannibal....I was almost done changing the oil on my Dale, I was putting the oil filter cover back on eith the Fresh new oil filter inside when the bolt that holds the cover on snapped leaving me with a headless bolt stuck in the side of my engine....WHAT DO I DO? I am soooo unbelievably fustrated right now....Please say this has happened to someone else!! What a crappy design anyway, that bolt is only about 1/8" big its bound to break, I didn't even think I was overtightening it........AHHHHHHHH

-Jeff

vpbug

#2 Post by vpbug »

Go to your local auto parts store and get an EZ OUT kit, get the kit for the size of bolt you broke off. You will drill a small hole in the broken bolt, insert the ez out into hole and give a quick light tap and start slowly turning the bolt out. I use these almost daily and they are life savers, just be very carefull not to break the drill bit off in the bolt, then your are really screwed. Good luck to you.

Psychosis

#3 Post by Psychosis »

Just do what was just recommended and you should be fine. I've had this happen w/both of mine's engines. Just drilled the bolts out and got a newer, better one. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

fig

#4 Post by fig »

Or just get a left handed drill bit. Is there any way to turn it with a small screwdriver?

djjeff4i

#5 Post by djjeff4i »

I have tried to turn it, I just ended up skinning up my knuckles ahaha...I will try to go to AutoZone or HomeDepot to see if I can get Ez Out Kit.

djjeff4i

#6 Post by djjeff4i »

The screw extractor kit broke, haha can this get any worse?

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

well however it may be detroyed after you get the bolt out, don't worry.... the replacement bolt can be the next size longer, since cdale threaded the hole plenty deep. 5 ft-lbs is really Max on all of those bolts, which are actually very good 10-grade quality.

For worst-case, you can re-tap to 6mm and use a longer panhead bolt (like for the plastics) that grips the outside surface of the oil cover.... no need to pull motor!!

djjeff4i

#8 Post by djjeff4i »

My problem is I can't find a drill bit that will drill through the stuck screw extractor kit....I have been working on this for about 3 hrs

r.porter

#9 Post by r.porter »

Help me out here machinists, won't a cobalt drill bit do the job of drilling the extractor out?

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Well you could buy a heavy duty carbide drill bit (small fortune) they can drill through bolts rockwell c40 to c70 . If you broke the easy out off you can try tapping it out in a reverse direction with a punch to break it loose. Those are very hard metal and drilling them is far more difficult than the bolt its in. Extreme patience and a steady hand is required. Worst case. Drop the motor down and replace the housing. I have a used one you can have if needed.