Please Help I Feel Like Throwing out my Dale

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Quadhauler

#11 Post by Quadhauler »

I had an exhaust stud break off on a Yamaha Raptor I used to own and then the EZ Out broke off inside the stud. A few cobalt bits starting very small and working my way up and a ton of patience is what it finally took to get that stud out. I can confirm that the EZ out is quite a bit harder than the exhaust stud was, no doubt about that. :hammer: Took me several hours but I finally did get another ez out in there to unscrew the stud. Good luck and try not going too crazy :eek:

fixthedale

#12 Post by fixthedale »

you may have to bust up the ez-out with a punch. if the ez-out is really hard, I have had to bust up taps before. it is kind of tedious and nerve wracking though.

fig

#13 Post by fig »

Here is how to remove a tap. Don't ask me how I know:mad:

http://www.positivemarketing.com/tap/default.html

I hope the small one is small enough. You can also check to see if you have a company like this around you.

http://www.extractit.com/

Good luck!

wistech

#14 Post by wistech »

Those are cool. But what happens when you break the tap extractor off in the tap? Is that when you finnally get to throw a tantrum?:mad:

Of course his is an easy out whigh doesnt have flutes .

fixthedale

#15 Post by fixthedale »

Originally posted by fig
Here is how to remove a tap. Don't ask me how I know:mad:

http://www.positivemarketing.com/tap/default.html

I hope the small one is small enough. You can also check to see if you have a company like this around you.

http://www.extractit.com/

Good luck!

I used to have to work with stainless a lot and have managed to bust a tap extractor. When they start to twist, quit turning. :cry: smile.gif smile.gif

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

Wow this is really some bad luck going on here.Dont give up we all feel the pain and have been there before.Spit on it and call it names.Then be sure to tell the wife,girlfriend or Mom how mad you are at the situation.They will see your frustration and this will easily be worth some points with them for getting some parts like new shocks etc that you really want.You need to reward yourself when this is all fixed afterall:D

Canniboomer

#17 Post by Canniboomer »

For major surgery, you could drill a ring of 1/16" holes around the whole mess, very close to each other to loosen everything.
After getting the guts out, re-tap to 8mm, and you're good to go.
The center o-ring is still large enough to seal OK with an 8mm clearance hole in the cover. Is somebody filming this epic?! biggrin.gif

MX Quad Dad

#18 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I had a machine shop close to me, and he had a set-up for burning taps or extractors. he did some stuff for me, but don't know how small he could go.

djjeff4i

#19 Post by djjeff4i »

Ok, this project has turned for the worse yet again, as I was drilling around the outside of the screw extractor my bit went through the side of the house, I am guessing that it is trashed now......SOoooooo Plan B. Remove the old oil filter housing and replace with new. Does anyone know how to do this? Do I have to remove the engine from the frame? Also is there a parts store where I can get a brand new housing?

Who ever knew changing the oil would be such a hassle!

-Jeff

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

This would require the whole sidecover to be removed.Which means engine out.What I would do is find a machine shop to make a stud.You could then cut off the tower to depth of where drill walked to side.Then drill and tap that for the stud make it out of steel and Loctite stud into the newely shortened and tapped tower.It will be BETTER than new and wont ever strip out again.Best of all if you are careful and dont get chips all over pump you wont have to pull your motor.