Not Starting

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Psychosis

Not Starting

#1 Post by Psychosis »

Started the quad last week and ran perfect. Went out to start it yesterday and the fuel pump primed, hit starter, one click and nothing. After that it wouldn't do anything at all when the starter was touched. Like an hour later I decided to mess w/it since I had time and it would prime and then I hit the starter and one click.

I checked fuse, good, but changed. Switched voltage regs even. Nothing. I then hooked a battery jumper up to the quad and turned it on. the quad started right up and ran perfect for about 10 seconds and then shut off. I first switched batteries thinking that was it but it didn't change anything. Now I'm thinking fuel pump but want to see what you guys think. The fuel pump WILL NO LONGER PRIME. Even when I jump it, it has quit priming and won't run. The starter turns and all, just no fuel.

Been busy as of late and don't have the time to tear a bunch of parts off to find a problem I'm not sure's there w/out you guy's opinion. So any ideas? Ran perfect last week.

azcannon

#2 Post by azcannon »

are you jumping the fuel pump by hooking up a ground? it always has power unless the fuse is blown

Psychosis

#3 Post by Psychosis »

Yeah, I'm connecting to a ground and then trying. Fuse is good though like I said.

I tried after writing the last message and it wouldn't do anything when starter was hit, not even click. I tried to jump it and the fuel pump primed. Just did it once and when I tried to start it, nothing. No fuel moving through the filter.

Exodus

#4 Post by Exodus »

Well if the pump isnt priming its one of three things. Its not making the circiut to run, its shot, or its not making the cricuit and its shot. As for the clicking, I would look towards a ground wire. The increased voltage was enough to jump the gap, but the standard voltage wasnt. Did you hook the jumper to the batt, or past the starter relay. I wonder if you shouldnt check the relay just to make sure its not involved in the prob.

hawksd1

not starting

#5 Post by hawksd1 »

My buddy owns a shop here Ive seen this before on a cannondale speed. Unfortunately he had to replace the ecu before it would work correctly again. Im not very knowledgable about dales like he is but that was the only that would cure the exact same symptoms. He tried replacing fuel pump and harness and multiple other remedies bfore going to the ecu

Psychosis

#6 Post by Psychosis »

I'd rather the ECU be the last thing to check. I was bypassing the battery w/the jumper as well. I've been searching around on it trying to find anything loose. The plastic and all's coming off tomorrow to help search through it. Luckily I can swap ECU's if worst comes to worst for the mean time.

Exodus

#7 Post by Exodus »

I dont think I would change the ecu yet, whatever could have made this ecu fail could cause the new one to fail as well. I'm throughing out ideas as to what it could be, but I might be way off. I would work on getting it to turn over first. Then try and find the prob with the fuel pump. If your looking everywhere, you'll probably miss the problem.

azcannon

troubleshooting is the key

#8 Post by azcannon »

troubleshoot the individual possibilities

1 problem with wire from ecu to pump
1a power wire
2a latching ground wire

2 fuel pump - hook a cordless drill battery to it and test

3 the ecu has to get a signal from the flyweel ( crank ) sensor
to even bother running the injectors or spark

4 don't forget about the little relay under the air filter
if that isn't working properly the fuel pump won't work

Psychosis

#9 Post by Psychosis »

Thanks for the help but I'm still stuck here. I've pretty much stripped everything to find the problem. All wires seem good, ignition and killswitch wires are good, switched fuel pumps, battery, solenoid, reulator, fuse, and nothing. The relay under the air box seems good as well as the crank sensor.

Would hooking it up to a D&M tell if the ECU is dead? I don't have a laptop but can get access to one probably on Tuesday. If all else fails, I'll start the race season which is soon on the backup ATK engine.

jwheat

#10 Post by jwheat »

Originally posted by Psychosis

If all else fails, I'll start the race season which is soon on the backup ATK engine.

Changing engines won't help if the fuel pump isn't running.