tries to start. . .

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cannon

tries to start. . .

#1 Post by cannon »

Just got my engine back in yesterday, but I can't get it running. I hit the starter and it may run for a second at the most and during that split secong as soon as you hit the throttle it dies.. It had gas leaking down the front of the engine at first, but I believe it stopped. Not sure what to do. I put the z400 bearing in, changed the exhaust cam, new valves and springs. I guess I'll try a new plug and go from there. Any ideas are more than welcome, I have a race I'm trying to make this coming weekend. Thanks

fig

#2 Post by fig »

Make sure the injectors are seated properly. Do you know where the gas leak was coming from? Make sure that it's not leaking anymore, one of them members here had their quad burn to the ground a couple of months ago and I think it was linked to a fuel leak.

cannon

#3 Post by cannon »

Yeah the injectors were seated properly, I'll check today now that it is dry to see if it still leaks for sure. Thanks

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

Be sure the return line is plugged into the tank. If not your fuel pressure will skyrocket and can cause fuel to leak and a bad running condition.

cannon

#5 Post by cannon »

The fuel line is connected good, fuel leak is gone, I replaced the plug and fuel filter, and same results. :hammer:

fig

#6 Post by fig »

Is there a good stream of fuel returning into the tank?

Did you verify that you still have spark?

You can look down the intake to verify that both injectors are working.

Was/is the plug wet?

cannon

#7 Post by cannon »

I haven't pulled the plug to see if it's firing, but the engine is firing. The engine starts, but only momentarily, leading me to think I've got spark and fuel, but maybe I need to recalibrate the throttle. During that split second that it runs if you touch the throttle, it instantly dies. I'll check the injectors though. Thanks

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Sure sounds like only one injector is firing.Sometimes the little prongs get bent over.I would do a visual with airbox lid off to se if both are spraying

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

:clap: all kinds of helps pours out, when an upcoming race is involved!!
...you can also try running a 1/4" hose directly from a fuel can to the fuel filter, and see if that helps. If it cures the problem, give me a call for any parts; line, clunkers, clamps, fittings, open-fittings, sleeve, several types of each, depending your tank, etc..

hmmn, have your tried turning up the idle? An anemic low idle can still start and putter at low fuel pressure, but cause it to stall when you blip for more.

cannon

#10 Post by cannon »

I got it to run but only when the fuel return line is disconnected. Why? . . .