what is a unicorn motor?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
bouncerdude

#1 Post by bouncerdude »

what makes a unicorn motor different than any other cannondale motor? i saw a post on it and i was curious about it. thanks for the info.

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

The unicorn motor is the older style cast motor that was retro-fitted with a hydraulic clutch from the factory. The newer motors are SSM and aren't as strong as the cast motors. The cast motors mostly had clutch cables. So the older style cast motors WITH the hydraulic clutch were dubbed "The Unicorn Motor". You got the smooth clutch of the new and the strong case of the old. Hope that helps.

P.S. To find out if you have one or not, look near your oil drain plugs in the case for a stamped "Cannondale" logo. If you have that and the hydraulic clutch, you have a unicorn.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

You where so close Jess.

If you have the "Cannondale" stamped in the case near the oil drain, it's an SSM case not a unicorn.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

As far as strength I would say the cast case motors seem "stiffer" because the plate movement and galling apears to be reduced on these cases. But I have seen just as many new as old cases with cracks in them that needed to be repaired or replaced. The only case I have any faith in is the early fx400 cases with the reinforcement bolt (john deere bolt) through the bottom. I have no examples of case failure of those but that could be because they are so rare and many were replaced by cannondale because of the tiny brass caged bearing on the crank. I have updated several of these cases and will be testing them in the 500cc engines to see if they can handle the power the other cases cant seem to.

bknight

#5 Post by bknight »

QUOTE (wistech @ Mar 31 2006, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as strength I would say the cast case motors seem "stiffer" because the plate movement and galling apears to be reduced on these cases. But I have seen just as many new as old cases with cracks in them that needed to be repaired or replaced. The only case I have any faith in is the early fx400 cases with the reinforcement bolt (john deere bolt) through the bottom. I have no examples of case failure of those but that could be because they are so rare and many were replaced by cannondale because of the tiny brass caged bearing on the crank. I have updated several of these cases and will be testing them in the 500cc engines to see if they can handle the power the other cases cant seem to.

what is this, (john deere bolt) iv seen this post a time or to, i do not know what it is or what it looks like.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

Its a long bolt that was installed next to the main flywheel bearing up through the bottom of the case to strengthen the whole right side of the case. Later engines didnt have the bolt and had a much thicker casting there but I have found that is just not enough. I have seen some crack there if a valve dropped or a major failure occured but I just took a 468 motor apart that didnt have a major failure and it to has a crack in between the main and counter balancer bearing. I think it will be possible to reinforce this area with a bolt like the older cases but its not going to be easy.