stripped impeller?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
five08

#1 Post by five08 »

im planning on buying a dale but it has a stripped coolant impeller, i heard its a common thing if i get an aluminum vavle cover will that fix it or are the threads in the engine stipped? i dont really know to much about there they bolt on or anything, thanks

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (five08 @ Apr 19 2006, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im planning on buying a dale but it has a stripped coolant impeller, i heard its a common thing if i get an aluminum vavle cover will that fix it or are the threads in the engine stipped? i dont really know to much about there they bolt on or anything, thanks

The stock impellar is made of a plastic material that when the motor overheats it can strip out. To replace it you just have to take the small cover off on the upper right side of the motor. You can then put an alluminum impellar on. Be sure to look at your cam cover at that point to see if you need to replace it with an aluminum one.

five08

#3 Post by five08 »

so i get a the new impeller and put that on and ill be all set, the cam covers what do i look for to see if they need to be replaced...

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Yeah, you get a new aluminum impellar for sure. When you take the impellar cover and impellar off you will (if you have mag cover) see corrosion on the cover. If its really bad then you will probobly want to just replace it. Chances are it should be replaced when you have the chance. So, if you have $200 right now then go ahead and swap the impellar and cover and be done with that.