rear axle removal

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
brunsyeah

#1 Post by brunsyeah »

Can someone tell me how to do this.....im stuck after the preload nut...so heres what i've done so far
removed both hubs
removed chain from sprocket
removed brake preload nut
removed rear disk and hub

so basically one side is completely clear...the sprocket and its hub are still on the other side but i can't get the axle to slide out...
is there something im missing in order to get the axle out of the carrier?
im going to replace the bearings in there and put a new axle in it
Thanks in advance

banzairx7

#2 Post by banzairx7 »

Did you take out the split ring and piece that the preload nut threaded onto? There is also that giant circlip which is a PIA.

brunsyeah

#3 Post by brunsyeah »

yeah both of those.....the axle simply is not moving within the carrier...could it be seized to the bearing? in other words before i get out a sledge hammer i wanna make sure i got all the things out that could be holding it it....i can see the bearing clearly on the disc side...

brunsyeah

#4 Post by brunsyeah »

wait i just realized you wrote giant circlip...is that the thing that looks like it hold the brake caliper mounting plate against the carrier...that needs to be removed too? i didnt remove the caliper mounting plate

banzairx7

#5 Post by banzairx7 »

yup has to come off. well at least you know what the problem is now.

brunsyeah

#6 Post by brunsyeah »

ok so i took the clip off...i still dont see how it could keep the axle in (the brake side only has one right?)....but i took the caliper mounting bracket off and took the seal out and the washer so now i see the bearing inside the carrier...i see what looks like corrosion in there so is that whats keeping my axle in?

banzairx7

#7 Post by banzairx7 »

It should just slide out towards the sprocket side now. May need some "help". Be sure to keep a nut on the end of the axle so you don't wreck the threads.

brunsyeah

#8 Post by brunsyeah »

the axle's bent so im replacing it anyway....i need to get a sledge to get this out....

cdaleman440

#9 Post by cdaleman440 »

beat the he!! out of it

brunsyeah

#10 Post by brunsyeah »

ever see a high lift jack....its got it 3/4 out now...time to get that last 1/4