headers

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
chigger81

#1 Post by chigger81 »

Im confused on what header is the best to have and what fits with what.

Could sombody please explain to me the differences between the stock 01 fx header and the 03 header and any in between. Which is desirable? Ive heard its the 03, but why? How can I tell what I have? Do they make the HMF slip on for both styles?

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

The 03 header is about the same as the hmf header. The problem is that the 03 header isn't the same length as the hmf so the slipon won't fit the 03 header w/o modification. The 02 head will fit any slipon. I'm not sure about the 01 header. I haven't heard much talk about it. There is also the FMF header which I have heard produced the best power. I think it is about the same as the 02 header but has better power characteristics. Someone that has more experience with the 01 and FMF please chime in.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

OK guys here it goes. The year designations are not always right, as I have seen "02 pipes on 2003 model bikes. Heck, even ATK uses the early model pipe on some bikes (another story).

01-02 Header is the same pipe, it fits most of the slip-ons that have been made. The primary tubes are shorter than all later model pipes, and it has a shorter over all length (unlike the 03 pipe it points towards the lerft side of the bike.

HMF pipe is a better design headpipe (it uses longer primary tubes, and a better transition point) but still will fit the same as above.

03 pipe is the stainless steel pipe that came with the toaster exhaust. If it did not come with a toaster, than it is not an 03 pipe. This pipe has longer primary tubes, and is longer over all. When mounted on the bike it points out the back. I have only seen two types of silencers made for this pipe. The one Zack and co made, a Wileyco (both very short, loud supertrap type exhausts) and the Bill's pipe exhaust.

02-03 FMF Ti header pipe & exhaust. This is the cat's meow from what I can tell. It has a much bigger outlet and long primary tubes. The muffler & pipe use a lot of titanium, which makes it light & expensive. I like it because it moves the air out of the motor.

Black Widow ATV exhaust (pipe & muffler) See Black Widow section. This exhaust is pretty, easier to install and can be made to be very quiet. Per Cannondale27 he claims it makes more power than the Ti exhaust.

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

Kdeal, have you compared the 03 header and the hmf? They are very similar.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

When I dynoed the BlackWidow -vs- Ti headpipe the BlackWidow did put out more top end HP but was lower on bottom.Very close either way though.Of all the Headpipes I do like the FMF Ti best since it is light and bigger ID and also sits higher off the oil return line.You also need to realize that this dyno run was done using my ported,stroked,bigbore motor.Past dyno comparisons on a stock motor the 02 headpipe actually outperformed the 03.Yet on the modded motors the 03 works best vs 02 with Ti beating them both.

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ May 14 2006, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kdeal, have you compared the 03 header and the hmf? They are very similar.

Jess,

The HMF and the 02 pipe are the ones that are similar not the HMF & 03 pipe (the HMF pipe has longer primary tubes and a better transition though). Remember the HMF head pipe is made to fit the HMF slip-on and that slip-on only fits the 02 pipe not the 03.

C27's evaluation is valid. On a stock motor a smaller diameter pipe with a shorter primary length may perform better (especially down low). Where as the bigger diameter pipe and longer primary tubes on the other pipes will be better on modified motors. The Ti pipe and apparently the Black Widow pipe have a bigger ID on the outlet.

Stay tuned on a pipe that Wistech has an idea on......it's going to be true duals and I think he's going to use a muffler off of an old International Harvester Bus...LOL laugh.gif