Spun Flywheel

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Powers

#1 Post by Powers »

Hi Guys.

Need some help please. I spun two flywheels in two weeks. Noe i only have one left and arent sure if i can fix the other two. I am in South Africa and cant go and buy spares just at a shop. Need help please. Why would it spin. I rode in a lot off water as it is our rainseason and lamost winter the water is very cold. It seems like there was a leak somewhere on the cover.

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

I have seen them spin because of a crack and I have seen them spin without any structural flaws. They can be pinned to keep from spinning but that would require you to send it to the states or do it yourself. A shop might be able to do it for you also. I think Wistech is pinning the flywheels. Maybe he'll let you in on his method.

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ May 23 2006, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have seen them spin because of a crack and I have seen them spin without any structural flaws. They can be pinned to keep from spinning but that would require you to send it to the states or do it yourself. A shop might be able to do it for you also. I think Wistech is pinning the flywheels. Maybe he'll let you in on his method.

Something else Powers,is make sure your not loseing a right main bearing,the flywheel could be getting hung up on the stater and spining it. Look for rubing marks on both parts.

chigger81

#4 Post by chigger81 »

QUOTE (claas900 @ May 23 2006, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something else Powers,is make sure your not loseing a right main bearing,the flywheel could be getting hung up on the stater and spining it. Look for rubing marks on both parts.

Yea, Its probably just a couple bad flywheels. Hate to be pesimistic or anything, but hes got an 02 motor, If it was an early 02, you might make sure its not an fx case. If you find rubbing, Id look into it anyway. The fx cases had bad main bearings. Mine did. I had timbo do the machine work so that it would take the newer style bearing. You can tell by seeing if you have bolts on the case there, I cant really explain. I believe you would also have a cable clutch if yours is an older one.

kdeal

#5 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (chigger81 @ May 26 2006, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yea, Its probably just a couple bad flywheels. Hate to be pesimistic or anything, but hes got an 02 motor, If it was an early 02, you might make sure its not an fx case. If you find rubbing, Id look into it anyway. The fx cases had bad main bearings. Mine did. I had timbo do the machine work so that it would take the newer style bearing. You can tell by seeing if you have bolts on the case there, I cant really explain. I believe you would also have a cable clutch if yours is an older one.

He is refering to the infamous John Deere bolt. This is an allen bolt that helped strengthen the case, it is installed from under the motor pointing up under the stator cover. All FX400 cases are cable clutch models, as well as all 2001 & some 2002 model motors. Powers if you need a hint on how to pin the flywheel, I can help you out. Or we can get someone here in the states to pin it for you. It involves drilling 6 equadistant holes around the flywheel nut opening, and tapping and threading for small screws. The concept here is to drill thru both the soft aluminum outer part of the flywheel, and the steel hub insert in the middle and lock them together. It is not a 100% fix, as some have still spun. But it definitely helps.

USAMoto00

#6 Post by USAMoto00 »

Kdeal, have you seen this more with stroked motors, or is it even across the board? How much does it cost for this to be done too?

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (USAMoto00 @ Jun 6 2006, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kdeal, have you seen this more with stroked motors, or is it even across the board? How much does it cost for this to be done too?

Wistech seems to have the best handle on this as he has seen quite a few. It seems to be caused by applications where someone is doing holeshots a lot. I know it sounds stupid, but he has a buddy that iceraces and he has gone thru a few of them. Also, some of the kids that seem to do nothing more than drag race all day long have went thru a few of them as well. Yet, I know several of you that have moto-x raced these things every weekend and have yet to have one go bad. It seems to be a mystery to me. I think it's a combination of instant torque load vs poor quality/design. I don't usually do labor work for other's, but I am always willing to help. I can show anyone how to do this if they are interested.

This is my way (with lots of help and input from the dyno-king (Wistech)...LOL

1) Steal the trailer ball nut off of your truck for a moment....Then take it and put it over the nut opening in the flywheel where it overlaps evenly on all sides. Mark the six points of the nut all the way around. Replace trailer ball nut on truck before you lose it and get mad at me....LOL

2) Take a straight edge, and draw a line thru the 6-marks you just made opposite each other (3 lines that will criss cross each other over the center of the nut). What this does is give you a spot to drill on these lines. The trick is to find where the aluminum & steel meet each other. Remember the aluminum overlaps the steel inner hub. There is a spot where you see the the aluminum make a downward angle towards the outside of the flywheel. This is where I drill my 6 holes (on the lines you made earlier). Take your time and mount the flywheel in a vice and rotate the flywheel and drill when the hole is closest to your body. I also like to aim towards the center of the flywheel a little as well. You will understand this part when you hit the steel hub. Rotate the flywheel until you have done all 6 holes.

3) Take a 4mm tap and tap all 6 holes. BE VERY CAREFUL with this step, as the tap will grab the steel and want to hang up and or lead to breaking the tap. I tap a little, back up a little, and do it again. Use WD-40 or something as a lube while tapping. If the hole is drilled and tapped correctly you will be right up against or slightly thru the steel inner hub (think a half or crescent moon size chunk out of the steel). Whew, the hardest part is done...

4) Pick-up some 4mmx10mm buttonhead style screws and screw them in using red loctite (don't ever want to have to take them out again). Turn the flywheel over and using a fine point punch, peen over in 3-4 spots on each screw. (Just take the punch and put it on the screw & flwheel at the same time and give it a whack).

You have now just pinned a flywheel.....congrats.

If you missed one of holes ( in aluminum only) because the drill bit walked on you a little, it's ok as there seems to be one in each group.

fig

#8 Post by fig »

Great write up!

Thanks

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

..Shoot..I think i did mine wrong..I put my holes right were the steel meets the aluminum.Iv done 3 this way to make it worse...Any pics?...Tho I only put in 4 bolts and used 6mm size. I also used selfcentering bits,like ones you get for a lathe,then bolted the flywheel to the drillpress table,was very easy to do.So then all I had to do was clean the hole up with the right size bit.

USAMoto00

#10 Post by USAMoto00 »

Very nice walk thru Kdeal, especially the "replace the trailer ball nut on your hitch so you won't be mad at me" lmao!! Michelle just spun a flywheel last weekend and this was our first incident in over 3 years so it made me curious. Thanks again for the info.