Trouble Starting/Won't stay running

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Baart

#1 Post by Baart »

Well I was going to sell my Speed to a friend but first we had to tear it apart to replace a fuel line. Now it won't run right. It is difficult to start and don't stay running. Its not consitent though. I was checking it earlier and the pump was loud and would not return fuel to the tank. It wouldn't stay running for more than a few seconds. Battery voltage was 12.25 or so. Five or ten minutes later the pump ran fine with no noise and was returning fuel to the tank. It then would stay running at idle, didn't try to rev it though. A couple days ago when we changed the fuel line it at one point idled and then after he took it up the road it sounded strong but he only made it to 2nd gear and then it quit. I was thinking maybe I should buy an MSD-2225 fuel pump. It seems it may be the pump, but I am not sure and like I said its not consitent. I don't have quick disconnects installed anymore as they went bad last year, so its not swollen O-rings there. I figure that maybe somehow air is in the line or the pump or regulator is bad. I am not going to sell the quad until I make it right so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I just glad that I have an 06 LTR450 now so that I can still ride if I want to. So should I just buy the MSD-2225 and hope that does the trick?

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Check for a plugged tank strainer. Spun flywheel.

fig

#3 Post by fig »

Remove the quick disconnect (return side) and put the hose in a gas can, see if it's returning gas at that point. If it is it's the quick disconnect, if not work your way back.

Baart

#4 Post by Baart »

QUOTE (fig @ May 25 2006, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remove the quick disconnect (return side) and put the hose in a gas can, see if it's returning gas at that point. If it is it's the quick disconnect, if not work your way back.

Well I know its not the quick disconnects, because I took them out last year. It wasn't returning fuel last night at first, but after it set for about 10 minutes and I tried it again it was returning fuel and the pump sounded fine. It was to late to take it down the street to see if it would continue to run that long. I am thinking of getting a new battery and the pump just to be sure. I figure it wouldn't hurt, but that alone may not solve the problem.

Baart

#5 Post by Baart »

Tried a new battery and it seemed that it was going to work. Pump sounded normal and fuel was returning to the tank. Tried taking it down the road and it died in 2nd gear. Pump then was making the noise and not returning fuel to the tank when trying to start it again. I may try getting a fuel pressure gauge and see what pressures I come up with both when the system seems to be working and when its not. I am seriously considering buying the MSD fuel pump and maybe an aftermarket adjustable fuel regulator and putting a gauge on there full time. Of course it could still be something else like an electrical problem I suppose. Its odd how the pump is not consistent. I would think that if the pump was going it would always be making alot of noise.

RoooStEr Pops

#6 Post by RoooStEr Pops »

Try reloading the hex code. It may work and it my not but at least you have fixed it and not just replaced parts and spending money. smile.gif

HANK

#7 Post by HANK »

HEYS. I GOT A TOUGH ONE FOR.. 02 CANNIBAL. WAS IN A FIRE REPLACED INJECTORS AND THROTTLE BODY , BRAND NEW HARNESS, JUST ABOUT ALL SENSORS AND ELECTRONICS SO ON AND SO. BASICALLY NEW. IT SPUTTERS LIKE IT WANTS TO STARTS BUT WON'T. HAS GOOD COMP, SPARK AND THE FUEL IS DEFINETLY ATOMIZING (NO MORE EYE BROWSE LOL) LOL OOPS. FLY WHEEL LOOKS GOOD AND KEY WAY.. A LIL SMOKE COMES OUT EXHAUST . BACK FIRED A COUPLE TIMES. RAN ONCE FOR ABOUT 20 SEC AND THE BEST I CAN GET AGAIN IS A SPUTTER. ANY INFO GRATE I HAVE ABOUT 2,000 IN PARTS IN TO PLUS BUYING IT.. IF NO ONE CAN HELP AND IT WONT FIRE UP IT WILL GO FOR SALE REEEEEEAAALLL CHEAP !!! ANY INFO GRATEFUL

MyCannibal

#8 Post by MyCannibal »

u got d&m kit?...if not that would be your bestest friend...maybe need to throw a fresh map in it and throttle cal and idle adjustment....you'd prolly be good to go if the plug isnt fouled....

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

It could be getting enough fuel to toast your eybrows, but still not enough to sustain it. Try turning the idle up. With new foreign injectors it should still fire right up! -- maybe not in good tune, but it should still run. Maybe it's the fuel fittings and/or filter.

HANK

#10 Post by HANK »

all fittings r brand new . fuel is flowing good and has a steady stream back to tank. also insatlled fuel press. guage. has 45- 48 psi. no d&M kit yet.