engine smoking

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
turbospeed440

#1 Post by turbospeed440 »

i have had a falikon crank and je 450 piston kit for a while now and im starting to get some blue smoke out of my exhaust what is the life of these new pistons and cranks i had the head port and polished at the same time with all new guides and stuff. after 3 6 hours trail rides i draind the oil and tranny fuild and all i get was 3/4 of a quart total between the two NOT GOOD. what do u guys think

thanks paul

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

3/4 qt!If that came out of tranny it would mean you had NO oil in the motor.They are seperate.One big drain below CANNONDALE is tranny and one too right of that is motor along with both frame drains.No comment on life of a JE piston.

kdeal

#3 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (turbospeed440 @ Jul 9 2006, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i have had a falikon crank and je 450 piston kit for a while now and im starting to get some blue smoke out of my exhaust what is the life of these new pistons and cranks i had the head port and polished at the same time with all new guides and stuff. after 3 6 hours trail rides i draind the oil and tranny fuild and all i get was 3/4 of a quart total between the two NOT GOOD. what do u guys think

thanks paul

Did you drain the two spars as well? If not you've got a serious problem. Like C27 said above, the tranny should have 3/4 quart of fluid all by itself. The engine w/o draining the spars holds very little oil, so I'm hoping you just didn't drain the two spars...... The JE pistons had some issues, but burning oil wasn't one of them. 3-6 hours at trail speed shouldn't cause any set-up to burn oil, unless the rings never seated properly.

banzairx7

#4 Post by banzairx7 »

Does it smoke all the ime or just on start up?

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Do a compression test. Were the rings gapped when installed?

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

And make sure you didnt over fill the oil. Forget the dipstick.

turbospeed440

#7 Post by turbospeed440 »

i got 3/4 of a quart total between the two. about 1/2 in tranny and 1,4 in enging oil. that came out of both spars after being warmed up to operation temp. and drained for about 20 min. i gaped the rings to .022-.024 and yes it smokes all the time. can i just buy a new sleeve and rings or do i need a new kit. what would be the cost .
thanks guys

paul

azcannon

#8 Post by azcannon »

where did you get that ring gap from ? I don't remember what I set mine at but it couldn't have been that far apart. I ride mine at the track and no smoke at all and it is very nice. I like the je and they build a very good piston for gsxr's and other bikes.

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

I wonder if this is one of those in the batch with the tight millenium sleeves yet. Did the piston fall down into the bore when you were gapping the rings. If it had any resistance at all then chances are its a mess now. If your lucky you can just swap them out. If they run to long the piston will break and do some serious damage.

The other thing that it could be is the valves seals might not have been installed. Our JE's never really smoked though. They just had blowby out the breathers under full power or broke in half from wrist pin wear.
Sorry if this depresses you.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (turbospeed440 @ Jul 11 2006, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i got 3/4 of a quart total between the two. about 1/2 in tranny and 1,4 in enging oil. that came out of both spars after being warmed up to operation temp. and drained for about 20 min. i gaped the rings to .022-.024 and yes it smokes all the time. can i just buy a new sleeve and rings or do i need a new kit. what would be the cost .
thanks guys

paul

that came out of both spars after being warmed up to operation temp.
What about the engine drain?Remember both spars and either the drain plug or if you dont have breather update it is the lower long hose with bango bolt.If that wasnt drained last time you changed oil you simply overfilled it.