Advice on Tricky Problem

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
RyeGuy

#1 Post by RyeGuy »

Hello, I have been trying to get my dale running off and on for about two months now..... I believe we have figured out what the problem is, but would like to run it by folks here in the forum to see if maybe we missed something.....

The problem is that as soon as you give the bike some gas (about 10% throttle or more) the bike shuts off. The bike starts fine and idles without any problem. When the bike stalls, it would appear that the bike gets too lean and stalls. No ECU faults. I have swapped out the fuel injectors, the whole throttle body with TPS, tested the fuel pump for fuel pressure (passed), and swapped ECUs with a running bike. The problem still happens on my dale even after all this. The other dale that we swapped ECU's, ran just fine with my ECU in it.

We have figured it must be an electrical problem, and I am preparing to remove the whole wiring harness and inspect it, and unless I find something obvious I will buy a newer wiring harness and install it on the bike.

The problem most likely was a result of an accident I had during a race. The bike rolled side to side 1 to 2 and a half times and got pinned on a tree. While nothing on the bike's frame was damaged, My dashboard wiring by the spare port near the ecu broke at the three resistors used for the dash lights. Obviously nothing snagged these wires, they broke from the vibration and/or impact of the accident. About 2 more hours of riding time after the accident, this problem occurred. It could be related, but we'll never know I am guessing. Just thought I'd add my thoughts on the cause, never know it might help......

Thankfully a close friend of mine has lots of spare parts, and I have yet to spend any money fixing the problem. I was going to wait a day or two and see if anyone had any suggestion as to what I could try and do before I remove the wiring harness.

Thanks in Advance!

Ryan

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

First things first. On your D@M does the throttle percentage go up gradually as you increase throttle.
Then does fuel pressure remain stable while it reved up . It could be a plugged filter or swollen oring in the qiuck connects or tank screen. They will let it idle but die when more fuel is needed. It acts just like a electrical problem. Then disconnect your stator wires and see if that affects anything . Possible stray voltage from the regulator disrupting the ecm. Most importantly physically remove every ground and battery cable and the small ground by the headlight bracket and clean /retighten. Dont just look at them.

Fuel pumps have been known to have problems after a major accident . Corrosion in the key switch and kill switches can also cause this type of issue.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Wistech ever go into Dalewannabes harness to see what was wrong with it?He had exact same symptoms Ryeguy has and harness fixed it after many tests and parts swapping even.

dalewannbe

#4 Post by dalewannbe »

Sure sounds like the problems I had. 27 and I tried everything to no avail. I even dropped the motor to verify the timing was correct.

I switched out my harness and all was good after that.

iWantaTurbo

#5 Post by iWantaTurbo »

i had kinda the same problem and it was the fuel filter was cloged

zoommx

#6 Post by zoommx »

Sounds similar to a problem I had also. Mine turned out to be a faulty on/off switch. Identified my problem by removing switch from bars and running the bike with switch dangling by wires. Simple check.

RyeGuy

#7 Post by RyeGuy »

Thanks for all the advice!!! The verdicts is in on what the problem was. First I did cut out the On/Off switch and tie the wires together, problem did not go away, then I let the Key hang in case it was a vibration issue, still bike stalled. So I went ahead and got a wiring harness and installed it. Bike runs just fine.

Ryan

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Hey I would really like to go through and do pin tests on one that is bad.Will return and pay for postage.Glad you got it going.