MX setup ?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdale03450

#1 Post by cdale03450 »

I am looking to get my motor completely ripped down and have all reliability issues taken care of. my question for you all is who tunes the best motor for MX. (Most reliable/best power) I want to start racing in the next year and i want to get my motor ready to role. Please post how long you have been racing the motor, the exhaust that you run, and your skill level. I currently have a HMF Pipe, motospeed mapping, Dave mullers air filter kit. Is that a good start? thanks for all your help.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

MX=Too old and chicken but still dabble.Timbo 467 full porting acceleration makes jumps much easier(and holeshots)on a MX track.SX might be too much.Had A-level racer ride it at track and he liked it alot for power.

twisted

#3 Post by twisted »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jul 29 2006, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MX=Too old and chicken but still dabble.Timbo 467 full porting acceleration makes jumps much easier(and holeshots)on a MX track.SX might be too much.Had A-level racer ride it at track and he liked it alot for power.

Brad built my motor, its still stock bore, but with a piston head porting and all that fun stuff, pulls just as well as any 450. Also very reliable, I beat the piss out of this motor and its still running strong.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

If you get it done from any of the good builders you will be very happy with the results. Getting the updates done should be priority 1 with the power coming in second.

As for a quad pulling and the location of the power it all depends on the build. A stroker will get you more torque which allows easier cruising at low rpm and better "pull" at low speed. Bigger bore is actually less important than the porting with these motors. You can yield great hp out of a good port job while just increasing the piston size will yield a little more hp.

To share a set of numbers with you.

450 Stroker with full timbo port got me 50.5 hp
460 Big bore with Cord's port got 49.5 hp.

This was on the same dyno a few hours apart.

So it all comes down to $$ and what you want out of it. If I had to recomend the most bang for the buck I would say get a stroker with port job. You won't be dissapointed.