how much is too much?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
justingeer82

#1 Post by justingeer82 »

when i bought a cannondale back in february i planned on just refurbishing it all original. now its been 6 months and heres how it looks so far.

a few weeks ago dave sent me my head with fresh exhaust valves and a nice port and polish job. i sent the crankshaft in to get balanced and get stroked 2mm and my fuel tank to get modded for 1/4" fuel lines to deliver the extra demand.
ive changed my mind and i decided to sink more into it and i am going to get a 6mm stroked crankshaft and a CP piston which will raise it to 480cc.
i was wanting something to ride in the woods but over the past few months ive decided that i want to make a drag racing quad.

i am dead set on getting a 6mm crank and the new piston and i was wondering what i should expect power wise. i have a yfz which has roughly 36hp and im curious to what kinda power i can squeeze out of the dale. i work for cummins in their filtration division and depending on what this motor puts out being naturally asperated i may try installing a small turbocharger. we have all the machinery id need to make my exhaust tubes and whatnot and if the motor can handle the extra compression id like to see if its possible to get 100hp out of it. no it isnt practical and i dont know if it can be done but if its feasable then ill give it a try.

i am using a 40t rear sprocket and im going to get a 15t front. i dont know if that will gear it too high. i havent even rode this quad before because when i bought it it had a busted hyd. slave clutch. the first day i got it i stripped it down bolt by bolt and its getting the major overhaul it needs.

wanablaze

#2 Post by wanablaze »

Disclaimer: Just my thoughts, I could be wrong.

I've thought a bit about this, too.

If you're going to go with a turbo, I'd start with a cast case. Also, you could probably find a short rod falicon crankshaft at a decent price. This should put you at around 9:1 compression, almost ideal for boost. If you've already replaced the fuel lines, a larger fuel pump and maybe an adjustable fuel pressure regulator would be a good idea.

In the gearing department, I'd go with a 15 up front and smaller than a 38 in back. Remember, turbos love being under load. Also in order to get it tuned, you may want to put it on a car dyno like Timbo did. In theory this should load the turbo more than an atv dyno. This would help you get full boost on the dyno. Some cars have a problem with this. They see more boost on the street than they do on the dyno.

Good luck, keep us updated.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

Great project!Without the turbo you will be a smokin your YFZ.Add turbo and well who knows.Couple of us are trying soon.You may be the first.

justingeer82

#4 Post by justingeer82 »

theres several turbo units sitting around collecting dust at work. most of them are for large diesels of course.
does anyone know a place that sells small volume turbo units and needed parts? after i get the quad together as it is im going to look for a dyno lab i can visit. i want the smallest turbo i can find because i believe even a 4 cylinder turbo would be too large. i just want to try to increase the boost a few pounds at most. not really interested in more power just a wider and snappier power curve.

Sandstorm

#5 Post by Sandstorm »

I have a 480.. Mine is a one only ported Dale by DAB who is local.. I have nothing else to compare to, but mine was put on a flowbench and took 13hrs to port.. I am happy with it.. Will it beat YFZ's of the same size/mods. I'm not sure.. Some wicked fast YFZ's running around our dunes, but most are one dimensional drag/hillshooters and you cannot beat a one dimensional machine..