Power

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
RonDK

#1 Post by RonDK »

Well I got the quad running and having fun but I have one problem. It seems not to be powerful enough on the bottom end. This thing is a rocket up top but I have trouble even lifting the front up in first gear it seems. Is this something that can be changed with a D&M kit or is this a cry for a stroker motor. I also learned my lesson going off jumps without nerf bars...my leg is really feeling it. mad.gif

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

what gearing does it have? Prob need to change it....try 1 lower in the front.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

A stock motor should have trouble keeping the front tires on the ground in any of the first 4 gears. Not sure what your problem is though. Could be mapping. Has the map ever been changed?

RonDK

#4 Post by RonDK »

I don't know about the sprocket..I actually wanted to go a little bigger as it's rubbing the buffer pretty good. I'm not sure if the map was ever changed but I do know that this quad was serviced at Champion some time ago. Maybe they have their own special maps? I also have been fiddling with the clutch lately. It lets go or engages at the end of the clutch pull and I am wondering if maybe it is partially engaging. I hate the way the clutch, you rev the motor a little and you are more or less searching for the spot to let out rather than doing it out of instinct. The lever goes far in but the quad doesn't move till the lever is all the way out. Do I HAVE to have that tool that adjusts the clutch to adjust it? I compared my quad to my brother's 03 RM250 and it was like night and day. The 250 felt A LOT stronger...something is going on dry.gif

MyCannibal

#5 Post by MyCannibal »

you want to go 1 bigger in the front?...go 1 smaller in the front...who cares if the buffer is getting some wear...thats what it is there for...just have a spare and keep a good eye on it b4 it chews into the swingarm...

250r guy

#6 Post by 250r guy »

hey man you got a 15 tooth front spocket on drop down to a 14 or the stock 13 once you do that ye'll get your wheelie power back.

wanablaze

#7 Post by wanablaze »

Yes, if your front sprocket is wearing into your chain buffer, it sounds like you have a 15 or 16 tooth front sprocket. I would find out what your gearin is and change it to suit your needs. If you still find that you are missing some low end power, i'd check your cam timing. From what I remember, some of them may have been out a tooth from the factory.