Hopefully its the flywheel

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
harleypitbull1

#1 Post by harleypitbull1 »

We went riding this weekend and everything was going great till I went over a small jump and when I landed the quad fell on its face. I tried to start it back but it spun over very freely. I had to be towed about 15 miles. I tried to pull start it when we first took off. It would only try to run being pulled, but it sounded like a v twin engine that was only running on one cylinder. I popped, sputtered backfired and all sorts of things including the back wheels trying to lock on occasion. I got sick when we got home and supposedly have the flu. Just wondering if anyone has come across anything like this. A guy I ride with had this happen to his sons bike back when they were racing. The flywheel had spun, causing the timing to be off. Anyone have an idea if this sounds correct and would you start looking there or elsewhere? If that is it, do I need any gaskets or anything to correct the problem? We have an extra flywheel. Thanks in advance for any information.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Sounds like that could be your problem.

harleypitbull1

#3 Post by harleypitbull1 »

i sure hope thats the problem. Is there any chance of it bending the valves or anything seriuos when I tried to pullstart it?

harleypitbull1

#4 Post by harleypitbull1 »

well the keyway lines up with the C on cannondale just like I was told it should. So what do I check now? thanks

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Compression test.Did you try taking plug out and turning it over by hand to feel for any binding or anything?

harleypitbull1

#6 Post by harleypitbull1 »

Seems to turn over fine. I am still trying to find a fly wheel puller so I can check the keyway but it looks like the notch and the c line up perfect. Has fuel and fire and compression but will not run. Have not done a compression check on it but it will suck your hand down into the top where the coil goes when you turn it over. I have turned the flywheel by hand and it seems to be normal. If it has spark, compression and getting fuel it should run, right? It almost has to be something to do with timing.

harleypitbull1

#7 Post by harleypitbull1 »

I did a compression check. I was reading on the website that it should be between 80 and 90 psi. When the gauge first jumps it goes to about 90 but if you keep turning it over it goes up to like 125. I am guessing this is fine. Somebody chime in and let me know. THanks

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

Since you are there at the head anyway, you can use a probe down the sparkplug hole to verify top dead center. The flywheel key should be pointing upward to 12 O'clock at TDC. If not, the woodruff key is sheared.

claas900

#9 Post by claas900 »

..Were you at harleypitbull1 someone might be near you who has a puller.

harleypitbull1

#10 Post by harleypitbull1 »

I am in middle TN. I think we found one. We are going to pick up the puller right after lunch and maybe I will know more then.