Spark Plugs

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
zacke22

#1 Post by zacke22 »

where does everyone get their spark plugs? can you just get them at a normal parts store or what?
thanks,
Zack

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

We are trying out the new iridiums, which are available online (Ebay), and are the same plugs used in the Hayabusa and R6, Boomer also has them. The iridiums are supposed to be foulproof, and there is nothing worse than trying to go on a ride and having to pull plastics and a tank....

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

If Irridiums have dual electrode and same displaced area as stock might be a good choice.Here is some confirmed dynoed facts though.R1bike,RX1,Apex snowmobile all with 1000 4 cyl switching to our ek plugs is 3hp.Its not known if the two electrodes raises compression just a little or why the switch does it but its been confirmed by many people on a dyno.So we have a great plug to start with.Some quads came with 10's though and those I would get out and run 8's.Never fouled a plug and never had any problems with the 8's.

Easy E

#4 Post by Easy E »

Iridiums are single electrode and I have fouled one before figuring out proper ECU settings. Only difference noted here was slightly better cold starts, but that may be my imagination too. I have run many different plugs to test including Splitfires and Denso dual electrode versions. Here are some cross overs:

Stock plug: NGK CR8EK

Options:

NGK CR8EIX (Iridium)
Denso Iridium: IU24A
Denso Multi-Ground: U24ETR
Splitfire Platinum: TP430C
Splitfire Standard: SF430C
Autolite: 4303

SBURCH11

#5 Post by SBURCH11 »

Has anyone tried the Nology plugs .Silver electrode. supposed to be better conductor.

thedeatons

#6 Post by thedeatons »

I have in my cars, they are not Nology brand, but Silverstone... Who knows if they really make a difference...

We have had CR8EKs foul before, and typically ride in varying conditions from 10 degrees to 105 degrees year round. We plan on going into the plugs with the settings correct and dyno tested, so we will see if we ever get a foul condition again!!

ozarkdaler

#7 Post by ozarkdaler »

Orielly's keeps them in stock ZACK.

Easy E

#8 Post by Easy E »

QUOTE (thedeatons @ Apr 3 2007, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have had CR8EKs foul before, and typically ride in varying conditions from 10 degrees to 105 degrees year round. We plan on going into the plugs with the settings correct and dyno tested, so we will see if we ever get a foul condition again!!

That's the key - proper fuel settings/delivery. You're only going to foul plugs if there's too much fuel or excessive oil in the combustion chamber (Ok, weak spark too!). I've never fouled a plug regardless of ambient temperature or riding conditions when the 'Dales are properly tuned.

Psychosis

#9 Post by Psychosis »

Since I've owned my Dale I've never fouled a plug except the first day I got it, lol. And I've always run the 9's. And it's been ridden from as low as probably 15 up to over 100, so like said, tuning is the key.

thedeatons

#10 Post by thedeatons »

Cdsracer corrected me about this - We run the CR9EKs, and have had those foul.... when they foul an 8 is tried (this is usually in the break in stage, then a 9 is returned to the quad after break in)... Sorry about that....