Replacement fuel pump answers

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#1 Post by wistech »

So you need a new fuel pump in a hurry ? Fear not . Pretty much any parts store should have one on the shelf Just order one for a 5.0 liter 1985 efi mustang and make sure to tell them you need the inline one on the frame. The price will be from $90 to $125 . If its cheaper then they looked up the in tank fuel pump which is the wrong one.
The ford ranger from 83 to 87 with a frame mounted fuel pump is the same one.
The stock fuel pump flows 38 gallons per hour at 45psi . That about 25 times what the quad could actually use. I would not recomend using a high flowing or higher pressure pump due to the fact that they will draw a much higher current (over 10 amps) and may cause issues with the fuel pump driver which we have enough troubles with already.

It seems there have been a rash of quick connect issues lately which will cause accelerated fuel pump wear and eventual failure. So if you have not gutted your fittings or installed a fuel line upgrade I suggest doing it before you end up stranded .

GDITheman

#2 Post by GDITheman »

Is the Ford pump better than the MSD pump? I don't know the specs on the MSD pump, but I've been using one for two years without any issues.

Fash00

#3 Post by Fash00 »

got a part number on the msd pump? Also if im not mistaken mustangs were carbed up until 87.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

From what Ive been able to gather Ford used so many different engines in the mustangs and rangers that they used the same in tank pump that put out 6psi. If the engine had a carb or throttle body injection it was good to go but if it had port efi then they cobbed on an inline high pressure pump to jack the pressure up. That must have been fun to diagnose a problem because both pumps would have to run to keep the car going. Ill bet there were many confused mechanics and parts guys.

J. Delaney

#5 Post by J. Delaney »

5.0L mustangs with automatics were equipped with throttle body injection in 84 & 85. Ford started using real EFI on all 5.0Ls in 86.

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (GDITheman @ May 11 2007, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the Ford pump better than the MSD pump? I don't know the specs on the MSD pump, but I've been using one for two years without any issues.

The ford pump is a Walbro . The MSD might be a higher volume version for cars running over 300hp. Then again it might be the same pump. It looks like Walbro makes most all the pumps and the aftermarket stores just throw them in thier boxes. Thats most likely why the prices are the same everwhere I checked. While 50 times overkill might seem better than the 25 times overkill we have now think about how much Hp you are losing recirculating that much more fuel through the tank and having the extra load on electrical system. It might not be much but Ill bet it is measurable .
There are many aftermarket inline pumps out there. Most all should work because they are all made for engines that have far more fuel requirements than ours. The only issue is the mounting system.

Fash00

#7 Post by Fash00 »

anyone got part numbers?

Canniboomer

#8 Post by Canniboomer »

QUOTE (wistech @ May 11 2007, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The ford ranger from 83 to 87 with a frame mounted fuel pump is the same one.
The stock fuel pump flows 38 gallons per hour at 45psi .

I would agree that the Ford Ranger pump is around 38 GPH (if it's a GSL393?), but the amperage draw and output is still much higher than our stock pump (the GLS414). Really, we should correct or verify some facts here, before letting this thread go much farther!

The MSD is very different, and is a higher volume around 55 gph.
It will generate more heat, and pulls twice the peak amps of the stock Walbro. Also, beware that it's not campatible with the stock pump location, due to the fittings. It will pump plenty, but has to work even harder against the same fittings, and we just don't need anywhere near that much capacity.

I'll find some info here about those pumps, and post again.

Canniboomer

#9 Post by Canniboomer »

Ok, so this is what the Walbro distributor conveyed to me last month, while I was researching optional Walbro pumps we might consider to use:

"I called Walbro. They have one in inventory (whoopee!), and won't make any more unless we get a significant order....They said the specs on that Cannondale pump (GSL414) are 13.2 gal/hr @ 43.5 psi w/ 12V source. That pump is supposed to draw a Maximum of 5 amps."

Alright, so we should now compare that to the LOWEST output Walbro pump that is currently available, the GSL393:

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

I was not able to find a flowchart for our stock pump, the GSL414.... but if anybody has that info, please post it?.

This is a good topic, and the conclusions will still come out the same, aside from the particular pump details.