Tachometer?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Mjollnir

#11 Post by Mjollnir »

btolenti,

OK, what you described sounds like any other ignition system. The ground is achieved throught he threads on the spark plug. The wiring diagram for the 'dale supports what you said - one wire (the orange one) looks like it goes to 12V power, and the blue wire goes to the ECM. I'm betting the blue wire is the key.

Most tachs require a 12V square wave to work, though Autometer can do some reprogramming to make their tachs work for other applications. I think the Cannondale would be considered a 1 pulse per revolution engine, or maybe 1 pulse per 2 revolutions. This is a matter of calibration.

I have an e-mail in to Autometer, and have received a reply from them saying that they are looking into it. I sent them a wiring diagram and everything, so maybe they will come up with something.

Just out of curiousity - would anyone else be interested in a tach kit if it could be worked out, or am I alone in this? If there are other interested parties, I thought it might help to let Autometer know that there is a group of interested people, and therefore more sales for them if a solution can be found.

Thanks!
Marc

cannondale27

#12 Post by cannondale27 »

I would be very interested since right now it is impossible to know what rpm there is aflat spot in the power delivery or a hit.If we knew those things it would be easy to make changes to the mapping wouldnt be guessing.
mjollnir,I think most ignitions have power to one side of coil constant and open to ground till the circuit is closed by the ignition box via sensor,points or whatever.
Positive Discharge Both wires have power and somehow the effect of power being taken away must fire the plug.Hope autometer comes through that would be awesome.

mountainman10

#13 Post by mountainman10 »

I would be very interested in a tach. If anybody can figure this out I will buy one.

HouserCannondale

#14 Post by HouserCannondale »

im not sure about the ignition on the cannondale, i dont want to talk out of turn about it but im pretty sure on most standard ignitions on other bikes the coil has 2 wires. one is ground, and the other wire is a pulsing signal that comes from the ignition box. i noticed this on my 300ex when i was hooking up my kill switch and i have the schematics for the bike and this is what it shows. everytime the engine completes a cycle a voltage pulse from the ignition box goes into the coil and the coil steps up the low voltage pulse to a high voltage that fires the spark plug. i made a homeade light tester to check for a pulse coming from that wire that goes to the coil thats how i know there is a pulsing signal and not steady voltage or anything else.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

Kenny you are right I got my +&- mixed up.Now the problem with the cannondale system is that both wires have power.

Jaybr

Re: tach

#16 Post by Jaybr »

Originally posted by dale44

also, the Ecu monitors the rpms so there is a built in tach in the program, anyone know how we can use the diagnostic cable to plug in and read the tach?

Reading the RPM from the ECU would probably cost way more than a standard tach. The info is certainly in there, but it's in a digital format that would have to be read by some form of computer and translated to display.

I'll see if I can find out any more info on the ECU, but I think it will be cost prohibitive to go this route.

wanablaze

#17 Post by wanablaze »

Any word on this? Marc, what did Autometer say?

wistech

#18 Post by wistech »

I made an inductive tach work just by wraping the small inductive lead around the top of the coil. Worked great for setting idle but the meter was to small to watch while riding and updated to slow. It cost like 30 bucks.

jwheat

#19 Post by jwheat »

The two wires to the coil will both have + on them when the key is on. The wire coming from the computer will pulse a ground to fire the coil just like most cars that you see. Nothing fancy or unique about it. Just looks different from what you see on other quads. Still works the same.

yamatr3

#20 Post by yamatr3 »

The only solution I know of right now is to buy a coil conversion kit from Canniboomer, then use any tach that uses the lead that is placed against the spark plug wire. Usually those type of tachs can be had for under $100.00. I believe Canniboomers kit is around $200.00, maybe he'll chime in.