New Motor

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
440speedkid

#1 Post by 440speedkid »

Well the plan was, to get a new engine, with the new style crank and new piston and sleve and the stage 8 kit, and a few other things, well it never happen so i found a 03 speed engine still running nothing broken. opened up and there was no metal shavings or anthing. Now to the question what would be the best thing to first do to the engine and would it be ok to load the engine into my quad and ride it cause i have the jitters its been sitting in my shed for a good 3 months. thanx

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

Since the motor is already out, I would have Timbo look at the crank and add the Z400 rod bearing. This is the best insurance policy for the entire motor. Loctite all the cartridge plate bolts when putting her back together and throw an aluminum valve cover and impeller if you can.

440speedkid

#3 Post by 440speedkid »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jun 30 2007, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since the motor is already out, I would have Timbo look at the crank and add the Z400 rod bearing. This is the best insurance policy for the entire motor. Loctite all the cartridge plate bolts when putting her back together and throw an aluminum valve cover and impeller if you can.

couldnt i just by the new crank from bw and put it in while its open. and i dont know what an impeller is.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

QUOTE (440speedkid @ Jun 29 2007, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
couldnt i just by the new crank from bw and put it in while its open. and i dont know what an impeller is.

Yes you can, that puts you in the as new ballpark. The impeller is the water pump impeller in billet aluminum. The stockers are plastic and this is kind of a bullet proof replacement.

440speedkid

#5 Post by 440speedkid »

QUOTE (kdeal @ Jun 30 2007, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes you can, that puts you in the as new ballpark. The impeller is the water pump impeller in billet aluminum. The stockers are plastic and this is kind of a bullet proof replacement.

what does a new crank run for, i saw 150 for the nw on timbo price list i think

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

150 for the what? there isn't 150 on anything in the stick pricelist.

timbomoose

#7 Post by timbomoose »

QUOTE (440speedkid @ Jun 29 2007, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the plan was, to get a new engine, with the new style crank and new piston and sleve and the stage 8 kit, and a few other things, well it never happen so i found a 03 speed engine still running nothing broken. opened up and there was no metal shavings or anthing. Now to the question what would be the best thing to first do to the engine and would it be ok to load the engine into my quad and ride it cause i have the jitters its been sitting in my shed for a good 3 months. thanx

This is Wistech

An 03 speed engine will most likely need a crank as well so you will save a lot of cash just rebuilding your engine. If money is a factor forget the aluminum impellar, aluminum valve cover and stage 8 kit. Locktite on the bolts ,evans in the coolant and a restriction free radiator will take care of any of those issues.
If your original engine just has a crank failed then a updated crank$500,stock piston and sleeve kit$150, main bearings$50 for stock $90 for the skf's . Then do all the inspection updates like the decomp rebuild,check for sticking valve buckets, ect assemble the motor correctly.
Throw in another $50 to 100 for little things like replacing some seals and sidecover gaskets.
And above all the frame NEEDS TO BE FLUSHED and a kdeal pellet magnet needs to be installed in the oil inlet and cleaned several times or all that work will be for nothing as the failed crank metal in the frame will wipe out your motor again.
The one way bearing also needs removed and inspected for worn rollers as a failed crank usually wears them out and some neglect to inspect them on rebuilds.
Id say fix yours yourself for around $1000 to $1500 or have competent dale tech build it for you for a couple huindred more.Thats better than buying a questionable engine that may or may not be updated and just have a few hours left on it. You will know what you have and save a ton in the long run.
You dont want to end up like the countless others who bought someone elses headache that was advertised as "fully updated" and ended up with a expensive pile of junk.